cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple questions i cant find answers to

sine220
Dabbler

simple questions i cant find answers to

i have looked through the setup guides etc...... bu a few quick questions remain...
how do i know my internet telephone number?
does it cost to receive calls? (either to mysolf or the person calling?
currently i am using my mac to make calls (the internal speaker and mic) ... its ok but i presume if i turn the mac off i can't receive calls?
But from what i gather if i get the ethernet - telephone connector i can plug my phone into my router......once i have done this will the phone ring as normal regardless of PC/Mac?
sorry for the newbie questions but your help is appreciated.
andy
18 REPLIES 18
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: simple questions i cant find answers to

Quote from: sine220
i have looked through the setup guides etc...... bu a few quick questions remain...
how do i know my internet telephone number?

Both your SIP ID and your lo-call rate number can be seen here.
does it cost to receive calls? (either to mysolf or the person calling?

It doesn't cost you. If the other person is also calling from a PlusNet Broadband Phone account using your SIP ID then it won't cost them either. Calls to your 0845 number are charged at lo-call rate and will be dependent on the carrier the caller is using.
currently i am using my mac to make calls (the internal speaker and mic) ... its ok but i presume if i turn the mac off i can't receive calls?

Yes, that's right.
But from what i gather if i get the ethernet - telephone connector i can plug my phone into my router......once i have done this will the phone ring as normal regardless of PC/Mac?

Yes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

widgetwilk
Dabbler

Another 'stupid' question, if I want to use this Plusnet Broadband phone, do I need a mike and headphones?Huh
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes, unless you don't want to speak to anyone or hear what they say Wink
You could use your normal PC speakers and just connect a mic but I usually find headphone are better.
widgetwilk
Dabbler

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed  thank you, thought so,
so another 'stupid' question,
do you put the number into your computer, and not use your 'normal' phone?Huh
and is it only 01 & 02 numbers?Huh
widgetwilk
Dabbler

Thanks getting interested in this,
might give e-bay a look for a headset.
puddy
Grafter

dont give friends and family your 0845 number (unless you don't like them) because it cost them 3p per min to call you and with most 08 number it won't come out of their free call allowance.
Siemens are selling a phone thats cordless dect phone that you can make voip calls or Normal calls built in to one handset. I brought one last week its great and you dont need to have your computer on to make calls but you do have to keep your router on.
Puddy
ps use they free calls dont lose them
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: widgetwilk
Thanks getting interested in this,
might give e-bay a look for a headset.

plusnet sell the speedtouch 716wl ver5 router that has a voip phone port just plug a normal phone in to it and you get free voip calls again you don't need you computer on all the time and no headset or mic needed and its ADSL 2+ 4port and wireless all in one.
Puddy
widgetwilk
Dabbler

The 'thick one' here again Roll_eyes
just had a look at Plunet web site and cannot see how you get all phone calls free, it says things like 'credit balance' and how much you want to pay,
RichSmol
Grafter

Our Broadband Phone products work in the following way:
All the products (bar Broadband Phone PAYG) have an allocated minutes allowance which you can use for 01/02 local geographic numbers. This counter will reset every month on your billing date. Once these minutes are used or if you want to make calls to mobile and international numbers (or any other number which isnt a 01/02 number) we take credit from your Broadband Phone account. You will need to purchase some credit an advance of making that particular call - otherwise we will reject the call.
For the trial period, we will replicate your Broadband Phone product on the new platform meaning you will not have to pay additional subscription costs but you will still have to pay for calls outside your allowance (see trials.plus.net > Top-ups).
As part of the trial we will be providing our users with 50p worth of credit so you can make a call and try various numbers out. Please note that you will need to make a call to a 01/02 number which will remove the international/mobile call barring (applied to prevent fraud).
Hope this helps. Post back if you need any further help.
widgetwilk
Dabbler

So in other words it is not 'free phone calls'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Yes, you do.
As Rich has mentioned, most Broadband Phone packages allow you to make a certain number of calls to 01 and 02 numbers without being charged. In order to make calls to other locations you need to add credit up front, a bit like a pay-as-you-go mobile.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

widgetwilk
Dabbler

Sorry to complicated for me, will stick with the way I make calls now,
unless anyone can prove otherwise.
PS/ does this include line rental???
RichSmol
Grafter

Thats the beauty of VoIP - there is no line rental to pay. Take a look at this page and you will see that most of our broadband products come with a free subscription - if you want to upgrade to a product with a higher spec you will need to pay a monthly subscription amount.
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/?resheader=broadbandtab
Then look down the page to the 'broadband phone' section and you can see how many minutes are included with your broadband package.
For legacy products:
Premier Option 1, 2 & 3 = 240 Anytime minutes included minutes per month
Plus = PAYG only - pre-pay credit required
PAYG = 120 Evenings & Weekends
Hope this helps!
widgetwilk
Dabbler

At the moment I pay Plus net £21.99 a month for just Broadband,
with another ISP I can get Broadband, all UK calls free any time, for [to migrate] £10.99 a month, so all I have to pay on top of that is line rental and other calls,
so come on, keep trying to convince me to stay and use VOIP.