cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simple network question.. (Or maybe not so simple)

Gorvul
Grafter

simple network question.. (Or maybe not so simple)

Hi, I have a query. 
I have 2 router modems.  I want to be able to connect to the internet and to xbox live at the same time. 
At present what I do is, I unplug one router (attached to PC) at the phone socket, and then plug in the other router (attached to XBox) and connect then to XBox live.
This isn't the ideal solution, and with me not really knowing much about networks, I would really appreciate some suggestions as to how I would be able to use my PC on the internet and play Xbox live at the same time.
Is a port switch something which would help me? (I don't actually know what this is or what it does, so again, I appreciate any advice)
Both my routers have only 1 ethernet port each, and I don't want to use the USB port. 
Is there an adaptor that I can attach 2 modems to?  is that what a port switch is?  or some kind of splitter?  would it be better to be using one modem with something attached to it which creates 2 ethernet ports from the one..?
help please Smiley
oh... the routers are both wired, and I don't want to go wireless yet.  A good solution for me would be a relatively cheap but effective one Smiley
Cheers!
4 REPLIES 4
Gorvul
Grafter

Re: simple network question :)

Thank you James.
So I think it is a network switch (or hub) that I need then - at least for now.
Quote from: James_H
Personally I'd be tempted to update your setup, and go for an ADSL modem/router, but there isn't neccessarily any benefit (it *may* improve your sync rate and throughput on your internet connection, but it might not.)

I guess you mean an ADSL modem/router with more than 2 ethernet ports.  I have 2 ADSL modem/routers with one ethernet port and one USB port each... but I heard that the USB port is better avoided if possible, and it's better to connect via ethernet...
I think at some point in the future I'll look into a wireless modem/router, but not for a while.
A cheapish network switch should suffice then methinks.. (I hope)
Thanks again! Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Gorvul
A cheapish network switch should suffice then methinks.. (I hope)

Correction: the cheapest 4 or 5 port switch you can find will suffice.
Something like http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/127067 should be fine.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gorvul
Grafter

Thanks jelv, - wow! a fiver! excellent!
and yes James, you are spot on. -  that is why I have 2 modems in the first place... previous troubleshooting Smiley
Thanks a lot guys!  Much appreciated Smiley
Gorvul
Grafter

ok, I got the switch, connected all as I thought it should be connected.  At first I ran into an IP conflict which I resolved by changing the IP address on the XBox. 
I forwarded the ports in the router for the XBox IP address, made a rule for the firewall (and turned firewall off later when I ran into problems).
The result was that the PC connects no problem to the net, but the Xbox kept losing connection.  It signed me into XBlive ok, but every couple of minutes it told me there was  a network problem and started the troubleshooter.  Going through the troubleshooter it reconnects, but then the same thing kept happening and it loses connection again.
There was nothing wrong externally (I mean, I assume it's something wrong with my set-up or configuration), because I unplugged all and just set it up with my other modem (direct connection - No PC though)
Can anyone  suggest what might be the problem please?  I've never set up a network of any kind before, so it might be something very obvious...
Something else just occurred to me - I don't have interleaving on, and haven't needed it with Xbox so far at all.  Would interleaving make a difference in my situation now that I have the PC using the internet at the same time?  (I had Gtalk chat switched on and Firefox was running).
I'd like to be able to use the PC and have XBox live connected at the same time so I can use GTalk whilst playing, and so that I don't keep having to unplug and re-plug everthing in and out each time I switch between....

EditeD from Here:

OK -an update
- I tried the same set -up with a different router/modem and so far so good.    I have my other router so strangely cofigured with NAT rules and Firewall rules and all sorts of things, that I think that was the problem...
I love it when things work. (without knowing why)