Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short cut on desktop problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

short cut on desktop problem

I have a program, that has an icon, that is supposed to show a web page, when clicked.
I can access the web page from another webpage, and have mad a "bookmark" for it.  However, to use that bookmark, I need to have a Google page open and then go to bookmarks find the bookmark and then access the web page.
is there a way of making the URL into a desktop icon, that I can click on to get to the page quicker.?
(making a short cut does not work). (dragging and dropping onto the desktop does not work ) (save as web page does not work)
12 REPLIES 12
hadden
Grafter

Re: short cut on desktop problem

Making a shortcut on the desktop works for me...
1. Open the page in the browsers
2. Copy the URL
3. right click on desktop and select New > shortcut
4. Paste the URl into the "location box" and click Next
5. Type a name for the shortcut
6. click Finish.
I'm using Windows XP.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... did that. BUT.....
get a message box opens when I click on the shortcut...

Problem with shortcut
Unable to open this Internet Shortcut. The protocol "http" does not have a registered program

[OK]

EDIT EDIT EDIT   using Windows 7 Starter on a 10" laptop
shalom2010
Grafter

That sounds like the registry may be corrupt. Is Internet Explorer associated with http?
shutter
Community Veteran

Not using internet explorer... using firefox. up to date...
also reg should not be corrupt, as the machine is only about 4 or 5 months old... and recently reg cleaned
I have tried to copy the shortcut from my other laptop,but when I try to open that, it says the same as above......
must be something to do with the version of W7 being a "Starter" version... possibly bits and pieces left out for space saving
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Check Default Programs in Control Panel.  Wink
Quote from: shutter
recently reg cleaned
Hmmmmm......................... W7 really doesn't need that, probably done more harm than good.  Roll_eyes
shutter
Community Veteran

Check default programs for what  ? ? 
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: shalom2010
That sounds like the registry may be corrupt. Is Internet Explorer associated with http?

That.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... been there ,..... dun that....
GOT THE TEE SHIRT !!!
not sure what I did but  I selected all on some page... and now the shortcut works...
Thanks.  Kiss  Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

As I said the http association was not linked to your internet program, Firefox. When you restarted Firefox it set itself as the default browser (I assume?). Anyway glad it's okay now. Avoid over
using Registry Cleaners Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

I had to send it back, so I took off all the progs and info I had on there, and used the reg cleaner to get rid of any dross.
will try not to do it every night before I go to bed from now on !  Cheesy Cheesy
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Registry cleaners = Root of all EVIL
I used one once 10 years ago when they were the new in thing.. never again. Computer locked up after a few minutes and then wouldn't reboot. Reinstalled windows, ran the cleaner again on a clean install and it still reckoned it had tons of stuff to clean up. I was curious so let it.. sure enough.. crash.
Bottom line here is that registry cleaners are big business because they claim to be essentially cleaning up your registry of junk. In reality they have no way of knowing what keys should and should not be there, what is accessed by what program and how often (there are millions of different bits of software out there - how would they ever know?) and they certainly can't have tested every piece of software to see how the system reacts when deleting tis registry keys.
Computers have got a lot more complex since then. Just the windows operating system has advanced a hell of a lot - so have many other things such as the services that run in the background. Imagine the chaos registry cleaners can cause now!
Never use one again! They really are more trouble than they're worth but because they have the word cleaner in the title people still continue to fall for it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I tend to agree with the above about registry cleaners, they're likely to cause at least as many problems as they might solve (if they ever solve any).
They can certainly cause broken filetype associations if they encounter unfamiliar programmes.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.