cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setting up fonts in plusnet squirrelmail

cherryjay77
Dabbler

setting up fonts in plusnet squirrelmail

This may seem like an idiot question - I can change the font for the headers and date of email, but I really really dislike the pale Times new Roman font I have to read my messages in!  I've searched but cannot find any instructions for changing the font I have to read my emails in.  Have I missed somethign obvious?
I am new to Plusnet broadband, having migrated across from Waitrose, and haven't yet put Plusnet email onto my outlook express, so am using the squirrelmail.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!  But I may never find my way back here!
31 REPLIES 31
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: setting up fonts in plusnet squirrelmail

If it's an HTML message you are viewing then (providing you have Show HTML Version by Default enabled) the font used will be determined by the formatting in the email.
If it is a plain text email (or you have Show HTML Version by Default turned off), the display will be determined by your browsers setting for the font to be used for Monospace. In Firefox for example you can change this from Options, Content tab, in the Fonts and Colours tab click Advanced. Note: changing this will affect ALL websites which use Monospace.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cherryjay77
Dabbler

Many thanks for that!  I changed the HTML thing and got a change of font from a test email sent from another of my email addresses!
I don't use Firefox and have no understanding what Monospace is.  Is there a way I can have all normal emails, sent from other people, shown in one font of my choosing?  I really really hate the tiny Times New Roman that is there at the moment.
It may seem like 'fussing' but I won't be using Plusnet email if I have to view it in tiny Times New Roman for most of the time!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just looked in Apple Safari and in there it's simple to change the font as well (actually slightly simpler than Firefox) - you just change the setting under appearance for Fixed Width font. In Opera you just go to Preferences, Web Pages and pick the font to be used for Monospace font.
Squirrelmail just formats the text using <pre>...</pre> tags and how that is displayed is totally down to your browser, so it looks as if you are stuck with the font as it is because you are using an inferior browser.
You might find that you can get round this by enlarging all the text using the CTRL and + key combination.
cherryjay77
Dabbler

OK thanks again - I 'm just using IE7 and don't know how to get 'Opera' either!  And Apple Safari is a foreign country!  Is IE7 an inferior browser?  Or is it becuase I'm using Squirrelmail rather than diverting it through my Outlook Express?
Also in squirrelmail for every email I send I have to input some coded letters ...they give me an array of letters in an image and I have to repeat it - such a waste of time - especially as I can often not see which is a letter and which is a numeral when you get to the 'O's and 'I's.  Do you know how I can get rid of this?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Has your migration completed yet or are you sending mail using a PC away from home? The feature where you have to enter the code (it's to deter spammers abusing webmail) is only supposed to be activated if you are using a non-Plusnet connection.
IE has been just about the worst browser ever when it comes to compliance with standards (they've made improvements to this in IE8) and has always been a web designer's nightmare. I've had a quick look and can't see how to set the font for pre/monospaced in IE.
I'd recommend you give Firefox a go: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/ Installing it won't affect anything else and you can switch back to IE if you don't like it. If you do give it a try you get to the Options dialog from the tools menu.
cherryjay77
Dabbler

I am using my home PC.  Plusnet tells me my migration is complete as from Sep 28th, although I used to be with Waitrose and my 'broadband usage' chart is still showing usage on Waitrose.  I have queried this with Waitrose and they tell me to 'turn my router off and on again' (that's real 'idiot's guide' stuff!) I did that long ago but it made no difference!  I thought I had to use Squirrelmail if I didn't do all that stuff with POP to divert my Outlook to Plusnet email. My outlook is still relaying Waitrose email!  Its all very confusing!  I had the impression that if I divert Plusnet via Outlook I might lose all my old saved messages from Waitrose/Outlook.
I have in the past used Firefox but I felt better used to IE7, and to have both running seemed to use up too much memory.  I'm one of those people who has limited understanding of the inner workings of computers, and scrape by knowing just as much as I need to - for instance I know you have to do stuff invovling the work 'POP' to get email via Outlook, but I just follow totally meaningless instructions to get there, and have no understanding of what I am actually doing!
I really appreciate the advice you have given me so far!  Thank you
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you changed your login name on your router? It should now be something like username@plusdsl.net
You should be able to configure Outlook to pick up mail from both Waitrose and Plusnet just by adding a new account.
Unless you are very short of memory or disk space there's no problem with using multiple browsers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just asked the moderators to check and one of them has come back to me to say that all your posts have been from a Waitrose IP address. Now that you've been told your migration has completed you need to change the login details in your router.
cherryjay77
Dabbler

Oh dear!
I never 'login' with my router so I am now lost!  I don't know how to!  Waitrose support haven't told me this, nor have Plusnet support (well, actually, Plusnet 'support' haven't answered any of my 'help requests since Monday!)
So if I get this login sorted I can have Outlook for plusnet and old waitrose emails - that will be brilliant!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You should be able to set up the Plusnet mailbox in Outlook to receive incoming emails before you transfer your connection - outgoing, if you are sending via Plusnet you would need to set up authentication using your Plusnet account name and password (using authentication will continue to work after you have transferred your connection.
One of the emails about your new service from Plusnet will have given you the login name to set up on your router - this will be stored so once it's set up the router will use it automatically each time it connects. If you go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser it will tell you the login name you should use if you can't find the email with it.
If you post the make and model of router someone will instruct you on how to set up the login details.
Denzil
Grafter

Your router is set up to login to the ISP's network. Once it is set up it does this automatically and generally stays connected all the time, so you are logging in with your router even if you don't realise! You should just need to tell your router the login details for Plusnet instead. Exactly how you do that will depend what model your router is. Plusnet have some setup guides <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/index.shtml?supporta=hardwaresetupguides">here</a> and <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/archive.shtml">here</a> which cover a lot of common models.
Failing that, try calling the helpline (0845 140 0200) and someone should be able to talk you through it, or tell us what model of router you have and I expect somebody here will have one and be able to help.
Once you get that sorted it is fairly easy to set up multiple accounts in Outlook Express so you can access emails from different places.<a href="https://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook_express.shtml">Here</a> is a guide for how to do that for Plusnet. You will already have it set up for your Waitrose account (I presume), so all you need to do is add a new account for Plusnet and you can use both. At the moment you probably have a set of folders on the left hand side for "Received", "Sent Items" and so on. When you add a second account you will get a new set of similar folders for that account. If you then want to close the Waitrose account you can just select and drag all the messages you want to keep to folders in the new account, before deleting the old one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are using Outlook rather than Outlook Express the guide you want is here rather than the one Denzil linked (you've said both in your posts)
cherryjay77
Dabbler

Wow - you are so helpful on here!  My router is a speedtouch (Thomson) ST5 10 V6.  Its not wireless but connects via ethernet.
If you don't hear from me again it will be because I've tried and failed and lost my connection!
I am using Outlook Express but called it just Outlook for short!
cherryjay77
Dabbler

OK thanks everyone - I've now managed t get Plusnet email  on to my outlook express, though its not gone to a separate folder and has mixed the Plusnet stuff in with the Waitrose stuff ....now to try the router ......