cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security?

torbayguy
Grafter

security?

Just wondering which internet security everybody uses?
I have used macafe and norton, both are ok but I found they slow my laptop quite abit, and norton kept finding things that werent there!
I changed to AVG a few weeks back, and it seems great.
27 REPLIES 27
Santiago
Grafter

Re: security?

Used to have Zone Alarm Pro, the earlier versions were great but as the product developed it got slower and slower so I changed to ESET Smart Security, works nice. I also have AVG on one machine, works ok.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have used Kaspersky Internet Security for the last few years without problems
pierre_pierre
Grafter

AVG is OK as long as you dont have XP, they seem to have made a muckup on the latest edition,  A lot of us switched to the free Avast when that happened, or are you talking about firewalls as Zone Alarm is usually for that
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Don't use any  Wink
I have Bitdefender installed (Run on demand only) for when I need to check out a strange M$ file, but that's it.
Rely on my router firewall to keep out most of the nasties, and Linux isn't as subject to the issues that M$ OS's are  Grin  Cool
Denzil
Grafter

McAfee and Norton are both reknowned for clogging up PCs, and why pay for security solutions when there is good free stuff around!
AVG and Avast are good. Comodo has a good firewall and antivirus.
Malwarebytes or Superantispyware are generally recommended for spyware protection.
Like Hairy Biker said, a modern router will have a firewall in it anyway, but there is no harm running another on your PC. Don't run more than one antivirus though.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Denzil
but there is no harm running another on your PC.

There is you know the number of posts I see when you have more than one pc and can't get them to see each other = local firewall issue almost 100% of the time
torbayguy
Grafter

I bought the full AVG from amazon... £60 in comet, £17 on Amazon!
So far, no problems... which must mean its doing its job if I havent had to use it, right?!
Out of mcafee and norton, I prefer macafe, but as others have said, they do slow the pc alot, where as AVG doesnt seem to affect the performance much at all.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I have the Windows 7 firewall, Avast Pro and malwarebytes, Plus the router firewall,A.V.G. for £5.00 at the hut.com few weeks back, think its still there but for 4 quid now and its the full package for a year,girlfriends got it on her xp pro and works great on her system, full scan taking 15min or so.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Anti-virus - Recently changed from AVG9 Free to Avast5 Free because of browsing hang-ups - prefer it now.
Firewall - Integral one in 2Wire 2700HG-B router and Windows XP f/w.
Spyware - Run Malwarebytes Free occasionally, or if anything seems slightly amiss or unusual.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
scootie
Grafter

AVG and commodo for firewall ( i run commodo in firewall only mode)
b2hbm
Grafter

This is probably very controversial,  but I don't use anything other than the router firewall and I'm using XP......    my missus has a vista laptop and apart from the standard vista stuff, that has no aftermarket a/v on it either.
Now I know that's against all advice and I'm clearly tempting fate with this post, but honestly, we have never had a successful virus attack.  And that goes back to the days of W98,  Prestel and what was a  very expensive dial-up connection.  We've both got simple rules - don't surf hooky sites,  don't d/l or run executable files and dump any emails which are unexpected or from unknown sources.  If you're unsure of any mail, check it out using notepad or similar. 
Of course we have a back-up strategy.  I use Driveimage to keep a clean image of the system and the wife has Trueimage on hers. Every few weeks or or if there's some unusual webpage response  I'll install something like avast or avg, update it and run a system check but it's always come up with no infection and then I simply over-write the system with the back-up image. It even prevents Windows from clogging itself up like it usually does. 
The issue I have with A/V is that it is always playing catch-up. Whenever a new virus, etc, is released, by simple logic whatever A/V  brand you use will miss it simply because it's not in their signature list or operating in the manner the A/V expects it to do.  And until the a/v suppliers see it, react and issue a new update file, the virus will have free reign.
I first realised this years ago when working at a multi-national and all our network went down one morning. On phoning my mate in IT I found we'd been hit by someone on the network opening something and it was loose - so they suspended it whilst they sorted it out.  We were using Norton A/V which at the time was the industry leader and it was on  4 or 6  hourly updates, memory is a bit hazy on that point.  But certainly more than your average home user's daily update. 

pierre_pierre
Grafter

lets say you are very lucky, not on XP now, but I regularly got thing but into isolation by AVG, and they were all positive
AVG updates its sigs a bit more regularly than once a day
b2hbm
Grafter

Smiley
Well, I knew it would be a controversial post but honestly my experience is far from unique, I know others with the same experiences.  I tend to build a PC, have specific software requirements (video, audio) and once installed  that's it. I don't run games, p2p, trials and even the browser is tied down by modern standards. (which does get the occasional complaint).
I have no problem with folks using a/v stuff and I'm sure that if you run p2p or downloads then they are a great idea. Likewise I don't wish to knock the companies selling these products, I'm sure they have rapid response systems but the basic premis still holds true - they can only ever be reactive to new threats.  Someone discovers a new loophole and with the speed of comms these days, there's a good chance it will hit the networks before being caught - the best defense will always be awareness by the user. 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I  have had them on e-mails, and I never open one that I dont know the sender, I do look at the source first, that can usually see problems without opening them, but recently had an e-mail from a friend in America, and that has a trojan attached, luckily my AV found it, And it has also caught drive by attempts on Firefox browsing
And some AV production look further than the signature.
So in my opinion you are on dangerous ground.
And to the Linux pundits, I see that there is now an AV product open for that