cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security/malware/no access to anything!

rena
Grafter

security/malware/no access to anything!

Today something weird happened when I switched on my laptop - I kept getting messages from Win 7 Home Security 2012 (where did this appear from?) saying that I had viruses, trojans and keyloggers etc and that I had to buy the security to get rid. I didn't buy it because I have security (mcafee with plusnet!) :'(, so i've no idea how this got through and I don't think the Win 7 is a trusted thing. I tried to delete it but it wouldn't budge. I tried to into system restore but I got the message windows cannot find  C:\windows/system32\igfxpers.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly then try again. I then tried to get into IE and I got the message C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item. I tried a few other things and I can't get into them either. Cry
Could someone please help. How do I get access to things, I tried properties, then security but I still couldn't get access and how do I get rid of that Win 7? thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63
rena
Grafter

Re: security/malware/no access to anything!

Thanks Oldjim, but none of these will work because I can't get into IE or chrome to download anything (i'm using someone elses pc just now). I tried safe mode but the virus was in there as well so I put it off. I don;t have a clue a computers. I think I will have to take it to a shop. I'm not sure how it got into my pc cos I have mcafee with plusnet. As well as the messages I mentioned it also mentions something about a registry but I can find a registry either whatevr that means!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

"The registry" is the knowledge centre on your computer that the operating system uses for information on hardware and software available and how to run programs. Manual changes to this should be done only by those who fully understand what they are doing - mistakes can make the computer unusable. So editing this is best avoided.
This answers.microsoft.com article gives information on the virus and its removal (ignore "Vista" in its title, the information also covers Win 7 and XP).
That "answers" article links to this www.bleepingcomputer.com article for guidance on removal of the virus. The article provides a script which can be downloaded (on a clean PC) and copied to a flash drive for use in recovering control of your own computer. Then Malwarebytes is used to remove the virus.
I suggest trying that procedure.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97414.0.html .  All these scam security software infections are much the same and can be beaten using the same strategy. 
rena
Grafter

I already tried safe mode with networking but it wouldn't go to the malwarebytes or any other site. That Win 7 home security 2012 just comes up and gives you the warning that if you continue your computer will be in danger or the option to continue without any security and even if you go ahead nothing happens, it doesn't move from the page and you can't go on to any sites or download anything. 
I'm also very worried because I can't access anything  I get messages like    windows cannot find  C:\windows/system32\igfxpers.exe, make sure you typed the name correctly then try again. I then tried to get into IE and I got the message C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item. I tried a few other things and I can't get into them either.  Does anyone know how I can get back into these things. I can't even get into system restore to try to restore it to a couple of days ago. Is this anything to do with the registry (whatever that is) and would I have to take it to a shop? thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

All those "errors" you keep seeing are most likely faked messages from the virus program to stop you doing something that would interfere with its operation. Until you disable that behaviour anything you try is almost certainly going to be blocked.
Disabling the operation of the virus requires a registry edit which is difficult to do manually. So …
Using your friend's computer I suggest going to the www.bleepingcomputer.com article I mentioned in my prvious post, scroll about half way down the page and you will find a link to FixNCR.reg. Download that on your friend's computer, then copy it to a USB memory stick (flash drive).
This file contains edit commands to change registry settings to stop the virus affecting operation of your computer. To run this…
Remove the memory stick from your friend's computer and plug it into a USB slot on your laptop, locate the drive and display its contents, which should be that .reg file. Double-click the file to run it. That should change your laptop registry settings to restore normal operation of your laptop. The virus will still be running in the background and needs to be removed. However you should be able to install and run the free version of Malwarebytes to do that, as described in the rest of that article.
David
rena
Grafter

thanks spraxyt, but I gave up!  i've just it to the repair shop and will get it back next week! (he said the same as you that the messages are to do with the malware)
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This is a common and very easy to remove virus/adware.  they want you to 'download' a fixit from them. usually for just short of $100. Usually based in US.  You pay ,and get nothing if you're lucky. If you are unlucky, you download the 'fix' and just download more spyware, malware etc.
The procedure is basically,
On start up , keep pressing Cont+Alt+ Del. This brings up task manager.
Show all users.
you will see a process that doesn't 'look right'.
left click
End process
At this point either a) nothing will happen or b) everything goes blank
If a) close task manager. If you have the right process ( the virus) you will now have access to your anti-virus etc. Run your anti-virus. Do not restart unless it has found and removed the virus.
If it hasn't found and removed the virus ( you will not have 20, 25,35 etc virus's  that the fake security warning is telling you only one or two) then download and run Malwarebytes antimalware. This will remove it. Then restart and you will be clean.
If b) the screen goes blank. type Explorer.Exe in new task box. This will start without the virus. Then Follow the removal procedure as above.
a worthy thing to remember is this virus gets 'invited ' onto your computer. Usually from trying to watch a video and the need to 'download a codec', or you need to be running flashplayer xxx  or adobe xxx  . when you click it you download the virus. Remember a genuine download offers the option to Open or save to.. Always save to ,then scan with anti-virus and AND Malwarebytes. (If you haven't got Malwarebytes - why not, it's free and great).
The only reason anyone wants you to open without saving and scanning is if they have something to hide.
Sorry if it's a bit disjointed, I am typing it as I think of it. I have removed this virus from a friends laptop ( twice) and my daughters once. Another friend has had it several times and I have given up removing it . If he's too stupid to follow simple instructions regarding security then he shouldn't have anything more powerful than an abacus.
KenA
Grafter

Some viruses will prevent certain programs from running, e.g. taskmgr.exe, regedit.exe and so on.  In such cases, you would need to copy the uninfected program exes from another PC on to the usb stck, and rename them prior to running them on the infected system. 
rena
Grafter

Thanks for your advice rogadodge but I already took it to the repair shop and they charged £25 for the privalege!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A bargain!