Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving windows xp plus updates

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

saving windows xp plus updates

I guess this has been asked before but is it possible to save a copy of your current windows installation plus all the updates that have been made since SP3 ?
I know there are many back up programs allowing you to make an image of your current setup but these programs would include all your other files as well which I want to avoid.
I know I could make a backup immediately following reinstallation of windows after I downloaded all the updates but there is no way I can keep this copy continually updated..or is there ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: saving windows xp plus updates

What you are probably looking for is a slipstreamed copy of XP with SP3 rolled in.
This means you can take an original XP cd, apply the patches to it then re-burn a CD that will do an initial installation of XP including all the patches.
This doesn't just apply to Service Packs - you can also slipstream individual patches onto an install CD.
B.
samuria
Grafter

If you use Acronis disk image you can take a snapshot of your pc when you have just installed it. You can then save that either on disk or dvd(it will be small to start with) Then you have the option of backing up every week/day/month and you can keep several copies or just do incremental backups. It gives the option of creating a hidden partition which it backs up to and on boot up gives you and option to press F11 to restore the system no cd or anything needed.
It will automatically manage the space and backup weekly and delete to oldiest backup if needed. I install xp and do a bare bones backup which normally goes on one dvd. Add my apps/updates and do another one. I then keep these 2 on disk and start a new weekly copy. Vital stuff like mail/mydocs I backup daily to another disk(acronis can do this as well). Its all pretty much  bomb proof and any problems its back up and running in under 30mins. You can mount the images as drives so you can get old files back that way. Its cheap considering what it can do for you
see  http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
If you want to slip stream you need Nlite from
http://www.nliteos.com/ as it makes the whole thing simple
paulh
Rising Star

Quote from: Barry
This means you can take an original XP ... [snip]

This is difficult for those of us (there are many) who have their computer supplied without an installation CD but instead have a "recovery partition" on the hard drive.
There are sites which give instructions on how to create an install disk from a preinstalled system (e.g. this one) but I once spent a fruitless weekend trying this wth no results to show.
Unless somone else knows a smart way of doing it ?
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Also - can you make a slipstreamed disc for XP if you only have an OEM version of the OS?Huh
Njal
Grafter

There are some detailed instructions on slipstreaming here:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_final.htm
@brewerdave - No problem with an OEM disk AFAIK.
Regards,
Neil
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Many thanks for your responses plus links to helpful sites.
I will have a go at these ideas.
We are born into history and history is born into us.