Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving bookmarks in firefox

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

saving bookmarks in firefox

Is there a simple way to save your bookmarks in firefox 3.0 What I am planning on doing is reinstalling windows so I would want to save my bookmarks, transfer the file to an external disk and them reload them once windows was reinstalled.
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: saving bookmarks in firefox

Go to Mozilla / Firefox / Profiles under your user account and save what you want from the profile - or the whole thing if you want
If you advise which operating system you are using I will be able to be more specific
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I am using windows XP Professional with SP3
Oldjim
Resting Legend

C:/Documents and Settings/user you/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles and there should only be one profile in that directory
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I opened the profile file and made a copy of my bookmarks folder  which I will store on an external drive. So Following a reinstall of windows I was going to download a fresh copy of firefox and then drag my current bookmarks folder into my new profile folder, hope I am on the right lines with that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Exactly
However you may want to keep a lot more information than just the bookmarks such a passwords, login names etc. In which case you may want to save the whole folder contents. That is what I did when I moved my settings from my old XP computer to my new Vista computer
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Of course you could always do it the official way linky
Santiago
Grafter

Oldjim's advice is very good. If you use Firefox a lot and have developed the various settings with bookmarks, add ons, themes etc it is a good idea to regularly back up the profile as you would with your data.
I regularly back up the Firefox profile and also use it to sync Firefox on my laptops. I copy the profile from my desktop and paste it into the same Firefox folder on my laptop.
Just for your bookmarks, you can get an add on called Foxmarks. It is a synchronising tool that also creates an online backup.
I hope this helps
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have a look at 'weave' too, that can save and synch a fair amount of your configuration
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
samuria
Grafter

You could of coarse stop messing about and get FREE the backup util for Firefox and thunderbird Mozbackup from
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
No messing about exit Firefox run the backup copy backup to new pc and install mozbackup restore job done.
Its worth backing up thunderbird and firefox at least weekly the best of this backup is it does extensions as well so you dont have to reinstall them
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

yes thats an even better solution, I like to keep it simple
Thanks