cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

routers

mumbietaxi

routers

I have a thomson tg585v8.Is there a better one read N routers are better ?
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: routers

Is there a better one

Hi, that all depends on what you want out of a router. The main advantage of an N router is improved wireless performance.
We now supply the Technicolor TG582n router which you can purchase for £40 + £4.99 p&p or free (over a 12 month deferred contract) + £4.99 p&p
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mumbietaxi

Wireless I don't need.
Read routers can effect down load speeds.
That's all. I did get 5.84Mbps. Now 5.4Mbps.
Plusnet tell me I receive 6+Mbps
Was just looking a ways to improve my service really.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That almost reads as a haiku Smiley
OK, no problem, TBH though changing from one router to another won't cause a great change in speeds as that is much more reliant on your line, phone wiring in the home and the actual service provided.
With that in mind I've performed a test on your line and that shows me a line rate of around 5.8mb so if you are achieving a little less (and that may be normal as its a slight fluctuation) then you might want to try connecting your router to the test socket so that I can perform an other comparative test whilst its connected there:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mumbietaxi

No thats ok.
When I was getting 6.+ Mbps the weather was red hot. Guess this helped the copper line transfer data better.
Thank you for checking  Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

No, metallic conductivity falls off as the temperature increases.  Semiconductors conduct better at higher temperature so you probably have a bad contact somewhere with a bit of oxide that is acting as a semiconductor bridging two copper wires.
mumbietaxi

Thank you all.
Speed went down to 4Mbps.  Now back to 5.761.
I did nothing it must be thanks to plus net. I seem to be blocked from btspeed tester I was using it every day.
But what ever happy back near to my best 5.84. Cheesy
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

it must be thanks to plus net.

Nothing's changed at our end in all honesty but don't hesitate to give me a shout if this starts to become a problem again for you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team