Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router signal

FIXED
vlad063
Hooked

router signal

hi everyone,

since a few days ago, router which I have been using for 5 years is troubling us. We normally run three laptops. Mine is about 3m from the router and has good connectivity. My daughters upstairs so a few meters away, keep losing connectivity on their laptops and mobile phones. If I restart the router (switch off/on) and wait a few minutes the signal is recovered to all laptops and phones and there is connection via wifi. But more often than not, it is lost within a few minutes. We never had this before.

Can anyone help. It almost seems like the wifi signal from the router is suddenly weaker. The router is working but has a real problem finding laptops and phones, unless you are very near. At any point before in the past, this was not an issue at all.

12 REPLIES 12
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: router signal

Sounds like replacement time. They don't last forever.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
vlad063
Hooked

thanks idonno,

is there a good way of explaining this to service team at plusnet? So that they will accept it and send a replacement for the router?

I don't even know how to contact them. Online chat is not working, I used to be able to send them an Email but that seems to have disappeared from my online account and calling them would take forever to get anyone on the phone.

How best can they be approached so that approach results in something constructive.

would really appreciate the advise.

thanks a bunch

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Fix

@vlad063   You may be running an  "ad blocker" on your browser...which stops Online "live chat" from working.

To save hassle... download and install OPERA browser and use it "as is"  with no changes... and you should be able to use Live chat

Keep OPERA just for use on Live Chat...  

Copy and paste.... then save. this  url... to OPERA browser     https://www.plus.net/help/chat/

idonno
Champion

You might be unlucky getting a free replacement router if they have already supplied you with one. You can but ask.........😁

You don't say what operating systems the laptops and phone use but some come with a WiFi signal strength indicator built in. i.e. in Windows, just right click on the WiFi icon (bottom right) open Network / Sharing centre and select your WiFi network. Should show what the current signal strength is. There are also various apps you can download, depending on the phone / laptop operating system to check what sort of signal you are getting in various rooms.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
vlad063
Hooked

all equipment is windows, running version 10. indicating good signal strength.

I notice (just lost connection a few minutes ago) to re-start it, it's enough to unplug ethernet cable between BT box and plusnet router. Unplug cable on both sides and plug again and connection is back.... No need to switch the boxes power off and back on. Could it be something with the ethernet cable?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That's a telephone cable - not an ethernet cable. It causes a disconnection similar to pulling the plug on your router.

Since you are only 3m from the router, have you tried using a ethernet cable to see if this is a work-around.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@vlad063 

From your description and the time that you have had this set up I wonder if you have a two unit set up, that's a BT modem and a Plusnet router?

If so then this can be replaced with a single box Hub One. If you have recently taken out a fixed contract then Plusnet should give you one. If you are on a monthly contract then my advice is to ring Plusnet customer services and negotiate a new deal. This will include a free Hub One and should be cheaper than your current deal.

Whatever you do don't buy a new Hub One from Plusnet. Instead get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site such as EBay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

vlad063
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick1,

I let the engineer from BT come (organized by Plusnet). He looked, checked the signal and line. He told me (and called Plusnet) from my house that line is working, signal is OK and BT modem is OK. But that equipment owned by Plusnet that is the router is overheating and losing wifi transmission. He explained this over the phone to Plusnet team (I was standing next to him) and they said looks like replacement router will be needed. In conversation they clearly mentioned Hub 1 as single box replacement for combination of two (BT modem/plusnet router) that I have now. Then there was nothing for a couple of days and then the message from Plusnet: "Hi we tested your line today and are happy to see that after the visit from BT engineer everything is working". Whilst my Internet is still dropping out and reception is impossibly slow. So I am really not getting anywhere. I am interested. BT smart Hub 6 if I bought one myself and forgot about this waste of time with Plusnet, is it as simple as plug the cables in wait to initialize and set up username/password? Not forgetting that my provider is Plusnet. Would setting up my own password/username that would come with this Hub 6 by myself on modem that I would buy, would this work or would there be clash of passwords etc. due to the fact that my home phone/Internet is from Plusnet (and not BT).

Many Thanks for advise

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If the Hub6 is not locked down, you would have to enter your Plusnet user/password.

Why not demand a free replacement for the faulty Plusnet router?

Alternatively, have a look on ebay for a second hand router - used Hub1's are available for under a fiver.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@vlad063 

The BT Smarthub 6 is a better device than Plusnet’s offering. They are not locked down. Setting up is a case of following these instructions, taking particular note not to plug the dsl cable in before instructed or have special characters in your password.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Note that you do not use the separate modem the Smarthub does both jobs.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

vlad063
Hooked

Baldrick1/Vile Reynard/shutter/idunno,

Thank You all for valuable advise. Plusnet finally agreed to supply a free replacement for my two unit combo (BT modem/Plusnet router). It will be Hub 1 from Plusnet. I will see how it goes. Cannot be worse than right now.

Baldrick1, thank you kindly for very effective instructions on setting up BT smart hub 6. I might yet decide to get one of these depending on the result of incoming replacement. I must say, the instructions are as clear and as trouble free as they come. Even in relatively inexperienced hands they will enable someone to set-up their connection with ease and confidence. The instructions are truly of remarkable value.

idonno
Champion

If you do eventually decide to go down the Hub 6 route, don't make the mistake of throwing / giving the PN offering away. Over the years, I found it handy to have a known good router to test with when things start to play up. It tends to narrow faults down fairly well.