Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

router on/off switch

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

router on/off switch

Just a minor grouse but I can't understand why the on/off power switch is located at the back of the Thompson Router. On the BT 210 it wasn't really a problem as you could slide your hand over the top and switch it off but the Thompson router has the switch recessed in the back with the power supply lead leaving little space to get a finger in to switch it off.
Yes I could just unplug it but the extension lead it plugs into along with all the other plugs is well out of reach at the back on my desk and it would not think it a wise policy to pull the jack plug out to switch it off.
Equally I could leave it switched on but if I am not using the internet switching off the Router is the best security you could have.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
8 REPLIES 8
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: router on/off switch

Plenty of routers don't have an on/off switch.
Except the one on the wall socket.  Wink
techguy
Grafter

Routers are really desinged to stay on
mal0z
Grafter

Many fire brigades recommend that you turn off all unessential electrical equipment it houses where people are asleep.
many fires start in power sockets - or so we are told.
Commercial premises such as Plusnet and their telecoms / routers etc etc are - or should be protected with fire detection / sprinkler systems.
techguy
Grafter

Yes I know but a router has got to be safer than leaving your fridge or freezer on 24/7
Make sure you get someone in to check and maintain your wiring properly.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm always tempted to knock mine off when I go to bed not through safety but purely because of wasting electicity. The 12v adapter that usually comes with the router is in essence a transformer which like a mobile phone charger uses electicity even when the phone is uplugged. Shocked  As long as there is no faulty wiring or a socket is overloaded with appliances then neither would pose any threat of fire. I often wonder though if knocking it on and off causes any line sync  problems Huh
Another point  to bring up on the routers is how a 1port non-wireless router is advertised as ideal for networking the phrase chocolate fireguard sprongs to mind. Smiley
techguy
Grafter

Got to agree with AWB, unless you have the sort of config we have at work where we have a one port plugged into an HP ProCurve switch to provide some test bed PCs with connectivity to BT ADSL so that we can check when external network connectivity issues are reported (I doubt many homes have space for a comms cabinet so are unlikely to have this configuration) a 1 port router is no good at all, you need at least two ports (one for the main PC and one to feed a poweline adapter)
I leave my router on 24/7 but switch the rest off as have hard enough time attaining a decent synch speed on any ISP and even a change in wind direction can cause BT's equipment to panic and reduce my speed.
Besides my little 12v router cant be drawing as much juice as most of the equipment we have at work and that is run by PN and BT to provide the service.
Most large chassis routers have a 3000+ W power supply and most of them have dual PSUs for redundancy.
Sorry, getting onto my favourite subject, networking, and its causing me to veer off topic, apologies to the OP
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
connectivity to BT ADSL so that we can check when external network connectivity issues are reported

You wait for it to be reported!!! shame on you that you are not running automated scripts that TXT you when a connection goes down!!
techguy
Grafter

Dunno about you Chilly but we don't have the luxury of being on call so we have no need for such things.
Smiley