cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restricting wifi access

flowergogo
Dabbler

restricting wifi access

Hi there,  I'm trying to restrict the wifi access available to my children, but can't find out how to do it.  I have a technicolor tg582n. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: restricting wifi access

How you can do it with the Tg582n depends on the firmware revision, newer firmware allows it from the GUI whereas older ones only allow it via CLI.
From this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133027.0.html
If your router has firmware 10.2.5.2 or you upgrade to this firmware then access control can be configured from the routers GUI
Log into your router GUI, select home network on left hand side, then access control and then under Device Access Scheduler select the device you wish to restrict from the drop down box. Click add then under Current scheduled devices click edit which then takes you Device Access Editor and then select the time you want the restriction.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flowergogo
Dabbler

Hi Bright Spark, My router is 8.4.4.J . is it possible to upgrade this to 10.2.5.2  Roll_eyes
flowergogo
Dabbler

I tried downloading from the link on the other thread, but it says I can't open it without a programme! I have no idea!!!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

flowergogo, are you still struggling with this?
flowergogo
Dabbler

Cry I'm afraid so!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

but it says I can't open it without a programme! I have no idea!!!
You need to also download the firmware update tool from the the download page ( http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ ) . The instructions on how to use it are also linked on that page.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flowergogo
Dabbler

You folks are soooo patient! Thank you for your time and effort helping out a slightly computer illiterate like me!
I've looked at  the other threads (thanks for posting them) but still struggling. I have managed to download the update thing (I was trying to use the setup.exe.manifest instead of setup!) and after a few goes and getting my firewall switched off it worked.....but my version is still showing as 8.2.2 and I still can't set up the restrictions. What an earth am I doing wrong????Huh
flowergogo
Dabbler

This is what I tried to do......"If you're not running R10 firmware you can download it together with the update tool here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

This is where I think I need to go lol
"If you're unsure of upgrading yourself, you can ask in the forum for Plusnet to push the new firmware to your router."
Anotherone
Champion

We'll see if we can get someone pointed in your direction Wink
flowergogo
Dabbler

Thank you.  I really appreciate it  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I expect one of the CRT (Customer Relations Team) will respond tomorrow when the Products Team, who do the upgrade, are in the office. The Modem/Router needs to be on and not switched off when it's being done. I think you have to reboot when the process is complete, but you will be told exactly what to do and when.
Can you keep an eye on this thread tomorrow? Are you around? You may need to PM the CRT member the serial number if it's not stored on your account, they will say (don't post it on the Open Forum).
flowergogo
Dabbler

Thank you, that'll be fab!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
I just tried to give you a call to find out when would be good for us to do this. Can you let us know the best time for this (office hours only I'm afraid) and I'll ask the team to sort it. While the router is updating it's important to leave it be, don't turn it off, restart it or do anything else, just let it go through. The process should take no longer than 10-15 minutes, once it's complete the router should start back up and all the normal lights on it should come on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
flowergogo
Dabbler

Hi. I'm home now until 2.30 or between 3.45 - 5. Thanks.