Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reinstallation of firewall & anti virus software

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

reinstallation of firewall & anti virus software

I am planning to do a fresh reinstall of windows as my computer has become filled with various junk over the past 12 months and is getting fairly slow. After installing windows the next thing I need to do is install a firewall and anti virus program, presently use AVG 8.0 and Comodo which I find are excellent and wish to stick with them, however when I come to download them It means I will be on the internet without either a firewall or anti virus program so my question is this, prior to the fresh install of windows can I download these programs and save them to an external disk, then put them back on my computer and run them ?
Any additional comments on this would also be appreciated
We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: reinstallation of firewall & anti virus software

AFAIK there is no problem in downloading then putting on a CD for example but I don't hink there is the option for downloading and storing the up to date definitions.
If you are going to do a reinstall I would definitely recommend slipstreaming all the latest Windows patches.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for your response, my knowledge of computers is minimal so can you tell me what you mean by slipstreaming all the windows patches.... do you mean reinstall windows, reinstall anti virus & Firewall and then go to windows update?
Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I mean creating a new windows install disk which includes SP3 in the case of XP
Have a read here - it's fairly self explanatory http://www.nliteos.com/guide/
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Many thanks for that !
artificer
Grafter

when i last did an xp install for a friend, i made a small (1gb) fat32 partition to hold all the essential install files for antivirus, firewall, antispyware and all the other malware, so that i could install them offline, then go online to update their databases.  i set the firewall protection to high and encountered no ill effects.