Hi,
can anyone recommend decent software for registry fixing
thanks in advance  Grin
13 REPLIES 13
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: registry fix software

What do you want to "fix" in the registry?
If you want to clear out unused registry items, try CrapCleaner  its free.... does two jobs really, can be use to erase (you have to set the number of passes) the usual cookies and mrud`s etc. and can also check the registry for obsolete unused items.
Best thing  its free !  Smiley
netreg
Grafter

I just ran registrybooster2 and it reported 500+ errors with my registry file, but only cleans 15 at a time unless you purchase it.. which i have no problem doing so if it works... 
hence really why i wanted to get others experience and recommendations..
I will check out ccleaner now...  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Be advised that some 'free trials' of such software could possibly find a great many issues in order to encourage you to buy the full version...........
which subsequently finds very few problems
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Be advised that some 'free trials' of such software could possibly find a great many issues in order to encourage you to buy the full version...........
which subsequently finds very few problems

exactly  Grin  thats why i like to go by recommendations
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: netreg
can anyone recommend decent software for registry fixing

You want to give unknown software complete authority to bypass all/any security you may have?
It's a glaring Windows security hole - anything that can write to your registry can destroy your machine.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I use CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and that cleans registry and other bits of your system. Also quite useful for removing things from your startup.
Never had any problems with it and it also keeps a backup of any registry changes just in case.
Best of all its free and spyware free.
Edit: oh yeah, don't forget to deselect the yahoo toolbar when installing (unless you want it!).
Jeff
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've found RegCure very effective, had it so long, can't remember if it's free or not, I think it is.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
netreg
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil

You want to give unknown software complete authority to bypass all/any security you may have?
It's a glaring Windows security hole - anything that can write to your registry can destroy your machine.

Jeremy, i fully appreciate what your saying..  It not a case of giving unknown software authority..  it is simply that i want to do some housekeeping on my winxp box rather than having to rebuild it every 6 months or so because it takes longer and longer to start up..    Although now i tend to use linux which thankfully doesn't need all this but unfortunately i cannot fully move to linux due to some software i still need to use.
I have given ccleaner a go and that seems to have done the job.  thanks guys...
sandyfred
Dabbler

Beware of System mechanic 7  I bought it, the analysis and quick fix of problem is ok but the full optimisation really messes things up.
holdtight
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
I've found RegCure very effective, had it so long, can't remember if it's free or not, I think it is.

Regcure is no longer free it will find 500 or so errors then prompt you to buy the full product  Roll_eyes
I also use ccleaner have been for a long time absolutely great never deleted anything it shouldn't but a back up is still recommended
mbyrt
Grafter

RegVac from www.superwin.com. All future updates are free.
Well worth trying!
Nick_Russell
Grafter

As mentioned, CCleaner is very good but I also use RegistryMechanic.
http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/
Reviews here...
http://registry-repair-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
simonw

Quote from: minkey
I use CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and that cleans registry and other bits of your system. Also quite useful for removing things from your startup.

With regards to startup entries, I find RegistryProt does a good job preventing unwanted stuff being added in the first place.  You just run it in the background constantly (it only uses a few Kb of RAM).