cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recording from vinyl to computer (mp3)

juliasdream
Grafter

recording from vinyl to computer (mp3)

I have a very rare record collection and now want to transfer it from vinyl to computer and possibly CD
I just bought a USb record deck which came with Audacity which one can get for free anyway
I've heard what a great program Audacity is but in practice I havent found it so straight forward and its verty time consuming
The worst part being track separation.
Ideally I would like to play a record which for example has 6 tracks on one side
Having played and recorded one side I would like to find the end result being 6 individual tracks in chosen format
Does such software exist either free or without costing an arm and a leg
Can anyone advise?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Lurker
Grafter

Re: recording from vinyl to computer (mp3)

Presumably you need a setting that will monitor for 'quiet' sections and assume that this is a change in track?
Only a problem if there is a quiet section in the track you are playing!
There is an instruction list here for splitting them both manually, and lower down a section on the use of the 'silence finder' to do it for you.
HTH
http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check out CD Wave, I used it several years ago to do this (Using my normal turntable & amp plugged in to my line in)
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php
from the web page:-
CD Wave is a program designed to aid in CD-Recordable mastering. It was built for splitting WAV files from any source, like LP, tape or even CD. After recording, you can let CD Wave automatically calculate split points, or you can manually add and delete split points. After this, you can write out the tracks as individual wave files and use any CDR mastering program to write a disc that has no clicks or pops in between tracks. Also supports 24-bit and surround audio.
(I registered it way back in 2002 when I last did this. $15 now can't remember what it was then, I believe there is no limit on the unreg ver apart from a 30 day time limit.)
thejudge
Rising Star

What you could do is record a whole side into Audacity (gaps and all), export the whole thing as an mp3 and then use mp3DirectCut (http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html) to separate them out.
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: biker955
Check out CD Wave, I used it several years ago to do this (Using my normal turntable & amp plugged in to my line in)
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=cdwave.php
from the web page:-
CD Wave is a program designed to aid in CD-Recordable mastering. It was built for splitting WAV files from any source, like LP, tape or even CD. After recording, you can let CD Wave automatically calculate split points, or you can manually add and delete split points. After this, you can write out the tracks as individual wave files and use any CDR mastering program to write a disc that has no clicks or pops in between tracks. Also supports 24-bit and surround audio.
(I registered it way back in 2002 when I last did this. $15 now can't remember what it was then, I believe there is no limit on the unreg ver apart from a 30 day time limit.)

Thanks for that and thank you for others who replied
I downloaded milosoftware and find it great. Much easier to use than Audacity. I mastered it in a few minutes without a manual and was all day recording. Quality is great too
I really like the attitude of the guy who produced it.he's not money oientated and puts no pressure on users to pay other than their conience. I will happily pay the 15 dollars. It's worth every cent.
Jut one more thing though
I can only ge WMA fomat with Milo which is ok but how about mp3. It's not as important but I wouldn't mind converting some albums .
I tried Googling wma to mp3 converters and found dozens claiming to be free but weren't
Can anyone recommend one?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you can use audacity for that, read the file in then export as mp3
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I think you just need to download LAMEMP3 Have a look on the homepage under FAQ or howto, or even the help file, it does (if I remember correctly) export to mp3 but needs the lamemp3.dll to do it.
Just had a quick look, lame should be bundled with it, look for a preferences/options and see if there is output format there,if so change to mp3.
juliasdream
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you can use audacity for that, read the file in then export as mp3

I feel a bit stupid now
I mastered Milosoftware and found it great to use. Now I've been shown Audacity a bit better I see they are both very similar only Milo is a bit less complicated.
Both witt export to mp3 as well
Thanks for everyones responses
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you sure you want a valuable record collection solely on mp3?
mp3 is a lossy format.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC for a description of a better (lossless) format.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."