Did you mean: 

reclaiming a usb drive with linux iso

FIXED
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

reclaiming a usb drive with linux iso

Hi

I have installed linux on an old netbook via a flash drive but would now like to reclaim the usb stck (where the image is burned). In windows I can't see the drive but in the disk management utility it shows up as disk one. How do i reformat the usb stick so its readable in windows again please?

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: reclaiming a usb drive with linux iso

@the_groundsman 

If it's showing up in the Windows Disk Management page then you need to format it (or create New Volume). It depends on what you're offered. Choose Fat32.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@the_groundsman 

Using the Disk Management route select it and use the appropriate section from here:  https://www.windowscentral.com/how-format-usb-flash-drive-windows-10#format_usb_drive_diskmanagement...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Fix

@the_groundsman   Start your linux machine up..... go to "Menu"     bottom left corner..

Click on Accessories ( or All  )... then look down the menu list on the right hand side. for Discs

Click Discs.... with your USB inserted in a usb slot... you should see the Hdd highlighted, and your USB also Listed... click on the name of the USB  then look to the top of the page for the three horizontal bars... ( menu icon).

click on that,... and then click Format...

CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT THE USB stick is Highlighted/Selected on the left pane, before formatting, or it will format you main HDD>

You should not need to make any changes to the "Format" window that appears...

it will take a second or two... then you can "eject it " .. and check it with your Windows  to see if it has formatted correctly for use with Windows.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

thanks all

I have tried all the things you suggested - initially with no succes.

So after following Shutters advice in linux;  I can now see the drive in windows explorer but it showed as having no storage ie the used and free space is 0.

I then go to manage the disks to create a new simple volume and that did the trick.

Thank you