Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving Yahoo Email into Windows Mail

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

receiving Yahoo Email into Windows Mail

hi, I've had a Yahoo email account since I was doing searches for my car insurance, mainly so I was not putting my main plusnet email addresses onto forms.
I have been using Office Outlook 2007 and managed to set it up to receive my Yahoo mail direct to my computer without paying for the plus Yahoo mail account, I decided recently to use my Windows mail for a change.
could anyone point me in the right direction, I have done searches online but the answers I get mainly refer to Outlook Express and Outlook and not Windows Mail, if anyone could advise please.
jono
21 REPLIES 21
jono
Aspiring Pro

Re: receiving Yahoo Email into Windows Mail

I think I've missed the important part of my question out for some reason, but to add to the post, my problem is that I cannot get Windows Mail set up to receive my Yahoo mail at all, I have tried all ways and nothing works.
I open Outlook and it works, I've tried setting it up using the settings used in Outlook but cannot get it send and receive. I suppose some members will say why use Windows mail anyway, Its at the point where I don't want to give up even if I never use Windows Mail again.
sorry for the missed part of post earlier.
jono
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I know it's not exactly the same problem, but is it related to this, From BT online help:
Windows Vista - Sending Emails from Windows MailWe are aware of a problem where customers using Windows Vista may find that they are unable to send emails from Windows Mail. In order to fix this problem, please click on Tools, Accounts and highlight the email account in the Internet Accounts window. Click on Properties and then click on the Advanced tab. Change the outgoing SMTP port from 25 to 587. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi HPsauce, The problem is only related to the yahoo account, every other email account I have which is 5 in total work ok, I've set the ports to what they should be for Yahoo, one is 995 incoming and the other 465 outgoing, it was suggested in search I did to change some of the setting which I did but it was just the same.
I've resigned myself to using the Outlook email which works perfect but if any other member reads this post and could come up with an answer I would be grateful, as I said its a problem that's not desperate but I would be interested to know why its not working.
regards anyway for taking the time to answer
jono
HPsauce
Pro

That BT Help was for Yahoo email......
jono
Aspiring Pro

Right HP, I'll give it a go, I thought straight away BT, I'm not with BT, but will try and let you know. Its tipping it down with rain so looks as if I'll not get in the Garden again today so might as well try while doing some more Family History.
regards
jono
HPsauce
Pro

That's me assuming everyone knows about BT Yahoo  Crazy
see http://bt.my.yahoo.com/
Borty46
Dabbler

Hi Jono
Sorry if I haven't understood your problem fully but I use Windows Mail with a standard Yahoo.co.uk email address and it works fine. In the Pop3 box I have it set to pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk and then the username and password as normal in the other sections. To send email I just use relay.plus.net, with no changes to the sending and receiving ports, i.e. 25 and 110. Hope this helps.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Borty and HP, Have tried the settings as you said and still I get an error, If I tick the box secure SSL needed which I was told to do as per instructions because apparently Yahoo needs it,  I get the box asking for my Password and ID over and over again. If I don't tick the box but set it up as stated above i.e. 995 and 465 I get an error along the lines of this,
Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH] invalid user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
According to the error message the port 995 is secure which it was not previously but I know for a fact that the password and user name is spot on, I even tried it the way HP said and changed the smtp port to 587, I set up the smtp and pop as instructions but whenever I click send receive all mail it either time out or asks for P.W. and user name. Still outlook works a treat, I'm just wondering if Outlook is set up for my Yahoo account I cannot use Windows Mail, if that's the case I'll just have to give it up as a bad job, Thanks for all the help though.
jono
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

IIRC You needed to pay for the premium version of Yahoo! mail in order to get POP3 access.. it's the same with the newer hotmail.co.uk addresses, you need to buy the hotmail plus.
Here's a quote from Yahoo! answers
[quote="yahoo! answers"]
In order to use a separate email program, such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, or Thunderbird, with Yahoo Mail you need to pay for Yahoo Mail Plus. It is also required when you try to transfer the mail using smtp or pop3 to another online email. When you do you can set the servers as follows:
Incoming (pop3) - plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing (smtp) - plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
As an alternative there is an add on called YPOPS that you can download and try.
Hope this helps.
Roger.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: rogerloxton
IIRC You needed to pay for the premium version of Yahoo! mail in order to get POP3 access..

Intriguing, do you know when that started and what accounts it applies to?
I've got  a Yahoo email account that I use with "Windows Live Mail" desktop client (wlmail.exe) under XP and it works fine there.
The settings used are:
servers - pop & smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
Log on - using clear text authentication with username & password
Outgoing - needs authentication, same as incoming
Ports - Outgoing 465 with SSL, incoming 995 with SSL
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Can't be exact about it, but I know it started a couple of years back, and it applies to any basic personal yahoo account.
If it's a business yahoo account, which I believe is a paid for service then you get POP/SMTP access built in..
I've had a yahoo.com email address for the last 10 years or so, and I've never been able to use POP3 protocol to access it.
HPsauce
Pro

Well I just logged in online to my FREE @yahoo.co.uk and checked the mail options; I've got Web & Pop access selected there ......
Borty46
Dabbler

I don't understand the problem here, I have used a variety of POP3 clients to collect mail from my Free Yahoo account. The settings I use are as follows.
pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
my username@yahoo.co.uk
my password
Incoming server Port 110
Outgoing server Port 25
It works with Outlook, Windows Mail, Foxmail and even PopTray.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Yes.. you can get yahoo to check other POP3 accounts for you, but you cannot collect your yahoo mail via a pop3 client.
if I go into my mail options on yahoo, this is what I get
POP & Forwarding

Upgrade to Mail Plus  so you can:
download your Yahoo! Mail in an email client, such as Outlook
forward your Yahoo! Mail to a different address