cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

realupgrade.exe still running

penneck
Aspiring Pro

realupgrade.exe still running

I dont know what I am doing to start it, but often (not every time) when I try to shut my pc down now, I get a warning that realupgrade.exe is still running. I can stop it at that point, but the shutdown takes a long time when compared to how long it takes if I hadn't got that warning.
So the questions are:-
1. What is kicking off realupgrade.exe? How do I find out?
2. If it is being started by something I am using, how do I stop that something starting realupgrade.exe, because obviously I want to use whatever is starting it?
Thanks for any help
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: realupgrade.exe still running

Real Player
Do you really need it
I should just uninstall it
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It must be something to do with RealPlayer's auto updater. I expect its video downloading browser add-on could trigger it whenever you open a web browser.
Try updating RealPlayer from the menu in RealPlayer.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

you can always install http://www.filehippo.com/download_autoruns/ and check all your auto running programs & stop the ones you dont need Smiley
or you can disable it VIA ,," MSCOFIG"  from windows
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think realupgrade.exe itself is one of Real's main autostart programs, that's tkbell.exe, plus nowadays some spectacularly useless sounding service for "managing different versions of real downloader" or some rubbish like that. I think realupgrade.exe ends up as an entry in Task Scheduler.
shalom2010
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That isn't the file we are discussing
This is http://systemexplorer.net/file-database/file/realupgrade-exe/403571
penneck
Aspiring Pro

What I have done since starting this thread on the forum is, as suggested, a search of the full C: drive looking for realupgrade.exe. Anywhere I found it, I deleted it. There were problems where at least one realupgrade.exe wouldn't delete because it was already working, but I seemed to get round that by rebooting and deleting that realupgrade.exe immediately. Even that didn't completely solve the original problem. I deleted the complete Real folder, and the complete RealNetworks folder, and still the original problem persisted. Now the search of the C: drive only showed four Tasks and a Prefetch which mentioned realupgrade.exe so I deleted them as well.
Since then I have done several boots, running the sort of programs I normally used, and then shutting down, and indications were that the original problem had gone. Therefore, I have reinstalled RealPlayer, and continued the testing. Now when I search the C: drive it reveals just about the same examples of realupgrade.exe as was, but only two Tasks and a Prefetch. I'm still not getting the original problem so it looks like it has been solved, but time will tell.
Thanks to all for your help.