cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

readynas static ip

woop

readynas static ip

Hello,
I recently received my plusnet router and have found that it assigns dynamic ips to my devices and I cant find anyway to assign a static ip in the web interface.
I have a readynas and need the ip to be static for various reasons. I have seen people advising to telnet into the router but for me the connection is always refused (on mac although this shouldn't really make a difference).
If anybody has had any success or can guide me in the right direction I would be grateful else I may have to look into a different router.
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: readynas static ip

Hi woop,
Assuming you have the latest PN router ( the 2704n ) there is an additional set of options on the gui via this url http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
I don't have one myself so can't be sure, but I think there are options to 'fix' ip addresses allocated to devices.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Or just change your DHCP expiry time to several days.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You should be able to set a static IP address on the ReadyNAS device.  That will override any setting on the router.  To be absolutely certain you should be able to limit the range of DHCP address assignments on the router to, say, 192.168.1.1 to, say, 192.168.1.99 and then set the static address of the ReadyNAS to something outside that range, e.g. 192.168.1.200.
I have always thought that asking a router to assign a static IP address to a particular device is asking the tail to wag the dog.   
woop

Thanks for the link ended up setting the DHCP range and setting readynas to static ip.
rogerx1
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
I have always thought that asking a router to assign a static IP address to a particular device is asking the tail to wag the dog.   

Maybe, but if you are operating in a mixed environment where you want one or 2 devices to have a fixed IP address but don't care about the others it is generally easier to let the router do all of the assignments to avoid any problems with accidental clashes of addresses.
DHCP from the router also looks after gateway/nameserver addresses for you as well.
C1Rider
Grafter

I'm curious, yes, I really am  Tongue
When I set a static address for one of my local network devices I found that the hostname wasn't being " broadcast " to the other devices so I had two options:-
1).  manually enter the hostname next to the static IP address on all my other devices
2). let the router allocate an address then tell the router to always use that address for that device
Option two was the one I went for.  Wink
Can you connect to your  ReadyNAS device using its hostname ????
Regards..
ps. reviewed before posting and found the bold button added a little face as well, isn't technology wonderfull.. Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could add the TCP/IP address and a name to your /etc/hosts file.
I believe Windows has a collection of hosts files - don't know why... Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: rogerx1
Maybe, but if you are operating in a mixed environment where you want one or 2 devices to have a fixed IP address but don't care about the others it is generally easier to let the router do all of the assignments to avoid any problems with accidental clashes of addresses.
DHCP from the router also looks after gateway/nameserver addresses for you as well.

Avoiding clashes is easily done, as I explained above.  You just set the range of DHCP -allocated addresses to be less than the entire subnet and set the fixed IP addresses to lie outside that range.  Set the Gateway/name-server addresses to the IP address of the router and let it route.
If you need to change routers then all you need to do is set the same IP address, subnet and DHCP range on the new router.  After that all devices with a fixed IP address will be good to go.
C1Rider
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
You could add the TCP/IP address and a name to your /etc/hosts file.
I believe Windows has a collection of hosts files - don't know why... Cheesy

Tried the hosts thingy and it didn't work for me, that why I used option 2.
Windows Huh  Oh yes, things you need to see through walls..  Grin
Regards..