Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random geo location

gnuGeek
Hooked

random geo location

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with location of my IP address, while a random geolocation great for adverts, it's bad for security

as whenever I sign into a service they kick up a fuss and I'm never sure if this is really me signing in or not due to the random location.

Who do I need to harass to get this sorted?

I tried to call the tech support but the wait time is 30min

3 REPLIES 3
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: random geo location

From the looks of your IP it's a Static and is geolocated on all checks I have done as UK.  Can you advise further of where you are seeing an incorrect geoip lookup?

gnuGeek
Hooked

hiya, 

everything says I'm in and around London mostly

while this isn't a huge issue, it make for some amusing adverts regarding eating out in and about London, but it always causes confusion for people using my WiFi

when I log into service <foo> they give me messages such as the one in the screenshot logging on to facebook

other e.g. are

http://beta.speedtest.net  always says London

http://whatismyipaddress.com/ says I'm in Westminster 

Facebooks says somewhere close to Rugby tonight
Google is extra paranoid about my whereabouts I assume with Phone GPS not matching location. :0)

many thanks 

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sadly there is nothing we can do with regards to geo location services.  We provide an internet connection with the connection point based mainly in London and any who is lookup for the IP will generally provide the address as UK based.  Geo location relies on many different technologies and is operated by third party companies such as Maxmind, Digital Element and IPLigence etc. They use various sources to geolocate IP address (mobile data, credit card, google location services) and often the databases they hold are only accurate to around 2000 miles for 99% of most IP's.