cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ram upgrade advent 7113 laptop

scootie
Grafter

ram upgrade advent 7113 laptop

hi. i am wanting to upgrade the ram on a family memebers advent 7113 laptop as wee stocking filler for crimbo as its painfuly slow with the standard 1gb running vista. ive got this page from cruical scan http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=7113&pl=Advent&cat=RAM
can some one confirm that i will need to get two sticks of 1 gb and replace the oringal 1gb stick with one of the two new ones to have a matching pair or could i just buy one stick for the spare slot.
7 REPLIES 7
artificer
Grafter

Re: ram upgrade advent 7113 laptop

at those prices you might as well get a matched pair.  you could just add another 1gb, but then not be sure that the two were compatible.
scootie
Grafter

hum just noticed on the spec bit of that page that it says non removable next to the standard memory
artificer
Grafter

i don't know the innards of that model laptop, but non-removable sounds iffy.  what if it failed?  it would need to be replaced.  perhaps it's in an inaccessible place.  you'll need to do more research.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

According to Crucial you don't need pairs of sticks just add another compatible stick.
Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?
A: No.
No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
scootie
Grafter

well ive read that the spare slot is under the keyboard so maybe its just that you cant get to the other slot. o well gonna order just 1 stick if it dont work then its only £9 wasted. memory chips are not far off the price of a bag of fish and chips now days.
Denzil
Grafter

You might find that the 'non-removable' memory is actually just a standard card, but tucked away inside. Changing it would mean taking the thing to bits, which can be fiddly.
scootie
Grafter

well i had a quick go at getting to the spare slot under the keyboard to see how to do it incase they ask for it to be installed crimbo day when iam full of crimbo sprits(jamesons whisky).
got to that spare slot easy and then had a look for the installed memory and can confirm that it is removable accesed by the biggest removable panel on the bottom.. shame as i only ordered the one stick if it has probs i think i will order another stick so i have a matching pair.
thanks for the advice