Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ram upgrade Dell Inspiron2200 laptop

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

ram upgrade Dell Inspiron2200 laptop

Hello,
I am considering upgrading my ram (presently 256mb original) on my Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop.  I have been looking on the Dell service forum, to see if it can be done, someone posted a note that the original 256mb is soldered onto the motherboard...... does anyone know if there are slots to add more ram? as on a tower or desktop....  If so, is it ddrm or sdrm, and can I buy it (the upgrade ram) from PC world, or other retailers?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: ram upgrade Dell Inspiron2200 laptop

Hi there,
Whilst I don't know the model itself, have you considered asking on the Dell Forum?  I'm sure that you would be able to get some help that way.
Although, I'm sure that someone on here may also have an idea.
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I have tried to log in to the dell forum..... its a nightmare.... I spent 15 minutes trying to enter a password and it/they were all rejected, even tho I complied with the requirements of at least 6 characters, none repeated within 3 characters, at least one upper case letter, and at least one lower case letter, and at least one figure.......If it takes that amount of security just to log in...... what must the answers to the questions contain?
Anyway, the people on here are much nicer to deal with !
Regards
Shutter
James
Grafter

That's fair enough Smiley
Not applicable

www.crucial.com
Has a handy scanner, which you can run on your machine to discover which memory you have, and what compatible upgrades there are.
If you prefer to not download/run the tool, they have a multi-step drop-down menu to help you select your model, which will also show you any compatible upgrades.
shutter
Community Veteran

O.K. James..... Will go and have a look at the link
thanks
10 mins later.......... Just ran the scan , and it is very good.... thanks.... the info provided was useful to a point, It did say I could upgrade to a max of 1280, but I had zero slots available and only 1 slot that had the memory..... So I have sent a query to their tech dept to see if they know if it is soldered or not.
Its great knowing there are so many helpful people on these forums....
Thanks
Gerry
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi, Been away for a while, just seen your reply.....Will see if I can log into the dell site when I have the brain power to sort out a "password"...!>!> Huh
Second option is to unscrew the back and have a look see ! !
Thanks for help so far