cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

" and @ keys transposed on ASUS Rog with Windows 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

" and @ keys transposed on ASUS Rog with Windows 10

My son bought himself a custom built ASUS ROG Laptop form the USA but some of the keys are transposed such as the " and @ symbols, as it's running Windows 10 I don't have a clue how to correct this, I have checked all of the obvious stuff, Locale, Language etc and they all show as UK so I'm a bit lost, so could someone in the know help me please.
12 REPLIES 12
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: " and @ keys transposed on ASUS Rog with Windows 10

Is the keyboard (setting) itself set to UK ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

more to the point is the keyboard actually a UK layout keyboard
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Almost certainly its a US keyboard - see attached
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you actually checked the key tops on the keyboard, to make sure that the 2 has " above it....  or does it have the @ above it...  ?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the image wisty supplied then it is a US keyboard, with the @ being over the 2. But having said that my Mac's keyboard has a similar layout but when I do a shifted 2 I get an @ symbol as expected whereas the Asus produced a ".
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

You will need to tell Win 10 it's a US keyboard. I Think the process is
Control panel/language
Against the English (United Kingdom) language bar click options (Right hand side)
Add an input method
Select the US keyboard layout you want. (you might need to experiment)
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

What is at bottom of taskbar r.h? My win 10 desktop shows "ENG" and hovering over it says to switch "press windows key and space"
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wisty - Thanks Wisty, that sorted it, and of course to everyone else for their input  Grin Pun intended.
@Luzern1966 - I know the icon you mean but there isn't one on the task bar, I guess its off by default or choice.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Is it possible that the icon Luzern1966 refers to is only visible if there is more than one language configured?
I have it on my PC but I have three languages configured.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds sensible and I think you may be right as it would allow you to change language with minimal effort.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Luzern1966
My win 10 desktop shows "ENG" and hovering over it says to switch "press windows key and space"

It really shouldn't do that unless you have explicitly told it to use a second language but a lot of 'upgraded' computers end up feeling ambiguous about whether they should use US or UK English.  You frequently have to download the UK English language pack explicitly and also UK speech if you want Cortana's voice recognition to work.  You can then, usually, set UK English as the display language, remove US English as an option and the ENG on the taskbar goes away.  However a minority of computers have their allegiance to the US so deeply rooted that US English cannot be abolished.  I saw one last week that I really had to fight to make the keyboard behave as a UK one as it would respond as US even when set to UK. 
The worst thing about a US keyboard is not that the @ and " keys are transposed but that there is no £ symbol above the 3, you get a # instead. 
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yep, I am on the trial upgrade, and tbh am wondering if 10 will be easier going once the trial period is over, or I do a proper clean install of the new system, that is presuming I can use my 7 key.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.