cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Printer offline" - router problem?

larsuwar

"Printer offline" - router problem?

We've recently changed from BT to Plusnet.
Previously, 2 x laptops & HP Photosmart printer wirelessly connected via a BT Homehub. All worked fine.
When we joined Plusnet, the router they sent was faulty - so we logged into, and used, Plusnet braodband via the Homehub - still fine.
However, Plusnet have now sent a new router - and BT want their Homehub back - so we have connected all three up to the Plusnet router (Technicolor TG582n running 8.4.4.J).
All three items connected to the router fine - but the printer is listed as "Offline" in the Printers tab of the two laptops.
I have logged into the router, and all three items can be seen.
Going into the Network map on the laptops, the map can be seen - but the system cannot tell where on the map the printer should be placed. Clicking on the printer, it gives you the printer web page - including ink levels - but there is no indication of how to stop it being "Offline".
Have tried turning off the firewall on the router - no effect.
Have tried setting it to a fixed IP address - no effect.
Plusnet Helpdesk are no help - they claim it is a printer problem, and not their problem - but there must be a switch or setting specific to the Technicolor router that is causeing the problem.
Can anyone help? Please???
6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: "Printer offline" - router problem?

Check that the laptops have the correct IP in their printer port settings http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000189/9139/80115/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

The printer is probably at a different ip than it was before. Check what it is using the printer web page or the router page, then check your print settings match that ip.
larsuwar

Many thanks to you both
Printer IP address had changed (by one digit - but enough to cause the problem).
Reset it on both laptops, now working fine.
Posted my query, and then had a break to make pannacotta, and got back to find my query answered - shame I can't email one to you as a thank you present!
I hope Plusnet appreciate the help you give them in keeping us newies happy!!
Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem. Smiley  During the day the PlusNet Digital Care Team(DCT) do a superb job of handling most queries on the forum. They only work 9-5 though, unlike the main Customer Support who are 24/7, so we do try and help if we can outside normal hours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bea

I was interested to see this post!  I'm having the same problem.  Unfortunately, the bit about IP address has got me a bit confused.  At one point my computer did tell me that it had located the PlusNet SSID and key, but even consulting HP (my printer's a photosmart) they told me to reinstall the software and follow the instructions.  Sadly, no instruction to change IP address or anything turned up.
As a complete idiot with technical issues, because I used to have 3 geeks at work who sorted everything out, I really need the "dozy female pensioner" version of what to do next.
Anyone????
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You need to check what IP address has been assigned to your printer, you can do that by logging onto the router and then looking at the devices page ( http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/devs/ov/?be=0&l0=4&l1=0&no ) . Having got the IP address then use the link in my first post which explains how to check ( and change ) the IP address of a printer on a Windows PC.