cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Internet Explorer 6 - your days are numbered"

mal0z
Grafter

"Internet Explorer 6 - your days are numbered"

It's been a long time coming, and there's probably still a way to go, but Internet Explorer 6 is now being forcefully shown the door.
The 9 year old browser has been in the news a lot recently, with both Germany and France advising its citizens to switch to another browser due to "serious security flaws" in IE6.

http://tincan.co.uk/611/latest/internet-explorer-6-your-days-are-numbered.html
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: "Internet Explorer 6 - your days are numbered"

IE6 was a pile of rubbish from the start, less 'standards compliant' than should ever be allowed, the biggest problem is there are probably still a few old websites actually written for this cludge that don't view correcly in any properly compliant browser.  Shame on Microsoft for this and all other attempts to redefine proper standards to their own ends.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I will be glad when I finally have to stop writing websites that work with IE6 as it has been a right pain since it came out.
You spends weeks/months writing a new website, getting all the menus and layouts just right and then you are told 'but it needs to work in IE6 as we still use it' - You then spend more weeks trying to work around all the non-compliances in it in-between all the cursing and swearing at M$.
IE6, 7 & chrome still have their moments but it is a lot easier to fix them than the PITA IE6!
Good riddance to it... should have died years ago.
mal0z
Grafter

Part of the problem I understand is that many government departments still use Windows 2000, and that can't support IE6.
Well they should just put on FF as I assume that will work on Win2000 ?
Fortunately - my websites get no hits from IE6 anymore. I've left the few IE6 conditional statements in but rarely test the sites in IE6 anymore.
MS should be utterly ashamed of their web products from a few years back. I would never touch their products like .net , asp etc .
But sadly that is typical behaviour from many US firms - they think their standards are better than worldwide standards.
They get away with it because of  the large US home market I assume.