Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Do you wish to allow this programme to alter your computer?"

christmas
Aspiring Pro

"Do you wish to allow this programme to alter your computer?"

System: Windows 7 Home, Internet Explorer 9
I recently downloaded Think Broadband's usage monitor.
Now every time I run IE9 the screen dims and I am asked if I wish to allow it to alter my computer.
After downloading the Think Broadband software the next time I switched on the computer a message flashed up asking me to choose a preferred browser, similar to when I first bought the computer.
I closed the window as I was using IE9, but the IE icon seemed to have gone from the desktop.
I selected IE9 from START and placed a shortcut on the desktop, but now everytime I run it windows 'User Action Centre' asks if I want to go ahead.
I could not see an appropriate setting in the User Action Centre which I'd never seen before.
Have the security settings been magically changed ?
6 REPLIES 6
zedingrove
Grafter

Re: "Do you wish to allow this programme to alter your computer?"

I may be wrong here, but from what I have learned with W7, is that every time, directly or indirectly a program attempts to make changes
to My computer a notification window opens asking for your permission.
This can be changed in "User Account Control Settings"
Only been using W7 for 2 weeks so correct me if I am wrong!!  Shocked
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well you're not entirely wrong zedingrove, it is something to do with admin rights. Open up the properties of IE9 and select the compatibility tab, then check if Run as Administrator is selected. If not then it might be best to try reinstalling IE9.
That's RPM to you!!
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the replies....I'm runing Windows 7 and there appear to be two verions of Internet Explorer 9 on the machine, one indictaes it is 64bits.
I've been running the non 64bit version which has now begun asking me if I mind the programme altering the hardrive....the compatibility shows as running in 'Windows 95' mode !!
The 64 bit version which loads ok is running in 'Windows server 2008 (Service Pack 1)' mode.
The compatibily options are greyed out and I can't alter them, guess I'll just use the 64 bit version.
Confused as to why there are two Internet Explorers on the computer.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: christmas
Confused as to why there are two Internet Explorers on the computer.

You have a 64-bit version of Windows so you are capable of running a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer.  But not all the add-ons for Internet Explorer exist in a 64-bit version (or didn't when Windows 7 was released) so you also have a 32-bit version of Internet Explorer in case you need to run a 32-bit-only add-on.
GrahamC
Grafter

Quote from: christmas
The compatibily options are greyed out and I can't alter them, guess I'll just use the 64 bit version.

If the Compatability Mode check box is "unchecked" they are running in Standard Windows 7 mode.
christmas
Aspiring Pro

Thank you for the replies...normally I don't bother to delve into what a program is doing but while sorting other things I'd thought I'd take a look.