Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

" A script is busy"...issue

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

" A script is busy"...issue

Often when opening Outlook.com, to view my emails, it just freezes and I get a pop-up box telling that a script is busy.  It gives me three options, 1 - Stop the script, 2- wait, or 3- debug the script.  I have no idea what a script is, or how to debug it ( looks quite complex when I click the button).  I just click 'Stop the script'.
Is there a quick fix, have I got an incorrect setting?
I'm unable to take a screenshot as this dialogue box locks out all other functions until I make a choice - which then clears the box.
12 REPLIES 12
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: " A script is busy"...issue

A script is code that runs within the webpage itself - instead of display language (html) which tells the browser where to display things, a script tells the browser what to do - like refresh a page, validate a form, move bits of the page around when you press a button...
It sounds like either your browser is stumbling (possibly a bad plugin / addon) or the site has a problem. Try using another browser to see if that solves it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You can stop the script provided the web page works normally afterwards.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys. Going to update/reload Firefox, see if that sorts it. I do keep getting a message about a java update, maybe that's something to do with it. Shocked
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks again, and found a big green button marked  'Refresh'  on the Firefox site. All sorted now. I'm being bombarded with adverts, but they do it smoothly now. Smiley Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
I do keep getting a message about a java update, maybe that's something to do with it. Shocked

No! Java and Javascript are two completely different languages. One runs in your browser. The other has a similar ish name but is not related to it at all and provides a platform for java programs to run on - it's used on anything from a PC to a set top box for freeview.
Javascript is used only in web pages. I think there is also a server side version of javascript but that is very rare.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

On the other hand, you should not ignore messages about a Java update.  Flaws in old versions of Java are frequently exploited as a means of introducing viruses onto your computer so you should either keep Java up to date or uninstall it completely.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Java is slow and quite rubbish.
Try to avoid sites that use Java.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MatrixRob
Grafter

For years I have been using and continue to use the 'noscript' firefox plugin which allows ME to control what is run in the background and not the websites.
It takes a bit of time and effort to set up to your own preferences but well worth it IMHO
Best plugin to have with firefox, stops scripts and adverts which in-turn produces a quicker web browsing experience as well as preventing malicious background scripts from running.
If it's good enough for the TOR browser, it's good enough for me  Wink
Never used Oracle Java for years, although not as bad as Adobe Flash  Angry
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: vilefox

I guess from that comment you've never used it to write software in.
7up
Community Veteran

It might be great for programming but to the average joe who is just the typical end user they don't care about that - they just care that it works and does it quickly.
From my POV foxy is right - Java IS slow and rubbish. I don't program in that language and i find it annoying as an end user.
Delphi / object pascal may be very old tech but it compiles executables that have everything combined, compiles them faster than many compilers and the resulting programs run rather well too. Compare that to Java.. yes it can run on multiple systems... but you're never going to write a program that runs on everything - who wants their java p2p client to run on a set top box?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Mook
Quote from: vilefox

I guess from that comment you've never used it to write software in.

Wrong!
I've tried using it as a programming language.
I failed to create a properly formatted output.
Many languages - especially script based ones - would do better.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

The key word there being I. This is moving off topic and I don't really want to start or get into a bun fight over the advantages or disadvantages of a given language so I am going to leave it there.