cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quirky USB problem

gordo
Grafter

quirky USB problem

A little poser, one that I would love to solve,  when I connect either my mp3 player or sd card reader into a usb socket, it doesn't show up as it used in windows explorer, making it dam nigh impossible to access the data or upload my files to and from either device.
When I access the safely remove hardware in sys tray the device is there and can safely remove it,  the only way I can get it to display is to go into Computer Management click on the device(shown as a drive) and click explore , then another instance of explorer opens with the device listed.    Quite a bit of mucking about but the only I can do it.  I have tried two patches from the microsoft site changing the registry, I have assigned a drive letter,  but when I plug one in it simply isn't displayed.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or come across the problem before
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: quirky USB problem

Could it be a problem with the drive letter not being unique ?
This http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/usb-mass-storagenot-showing-up-in/88191.html seems like a similar situation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gordo
Grafter

Thought I had done that,  according to my scribble notes, but that seems to have done it. again misterw  second one this week move to the top of the class  Grin
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

We often have this problem at work as we map a "General" G: drive. Computers with multiple partitions and/or optical drives will assign G: for USB devices. The easiest solution to use to use Disk Management to change the drive letter(s) of either optical or USB drives. Do not change the drive letter of a fixed partition or even a removable drive unless you're sure no programs (or worse still, your operating system) run from it.
StickyMick
Grafter

I thought M$ sorted that one out long ago Undecided