cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quarantined e-mails

firefly2
Grafter

quarantined e-mails

have had three recently. addsd to " friend @ etc.
can't quite make my mind up whether plusnet doing it.
one had  " prat in a part of adds. nice touch .
haven't opened them. Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: quarantined e-mails

they are probably the e-card postings that do include a virus, if what you are getting is
From: Email Alerting Service <unquarantine@quarantine.free-online.co.uk>
Subject: Alert:  An email addressed to you has been quarantined
it doesnt hurt to open the e-mail, if you read it have a laugh and do nothing, the quarantined mail will get deleted shortly
firefly2
Grafter

thanks pierre
that is just what received.
think i will give it a miss tho'. do not relish the virus bit. [ in case ] Undecided
Lucy
Grafter

Be careful !
It started a few days ago at 1 or 2 per day, but now they're coming in numbers together with the "Your internet access is about to be suspended" ones, only a few have been filtered as Spam. They're all quarantined because I have PN's virus check turned on, but I wonder how many people have turned it off and are clicking. I think this could be serious because many people could fall for it. Who hasn't received or sent e-cards?
It gets worse! Some are now using plain text messages that wouldn't be detected by anti-virus filters.
In its alert today, Helsinki, Finland-based security vendor F-Secure said the fake e-card messages from one group of online criminals appear to have changed since last night, when they dropped the use of attached files and went to plain-text messages.
An included link then tells the recipient to install a free "Microsoft Data Access" application to retrieve the e-card, but that file -- msdataaccess.exe -- is a damaging virus. F-Secure said it has identified the virus as Email-Worm.Win32.Zhelatin.gg.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136039/greetings_someone_has_sent_you_an_ecard_virus.html
It's very annoying because it spoils e-card greetings for everyone.  Angry
(edited to add link to the pcworld article)
firefly2
Grafter

hi possum.
thank you for that extra info.
i haven't opened any or gone to any link.
don't they just miff you off tho' ?? Lips_are_sealed