cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with watching bbc iplayer?

helentroy
Dabbler

problems with watching bbc iplayer?

Hi all - hope I'm in the right forum section?
I've noticed my connection has been a little slower over the last few days- I put this down to the time of the year/xmas crush- but 2 nights ago, I couldn't watch any programmes (streaming) from bbc iplayer. 
When I go onto the bbc iplayer home page- everything is as before but when I click on the program to play- there is just the title of the program I've chosen and a big black space of nothing.  The normal viewing window doesn't come up and so there's no loading or arrow to press play- nothing.  So I go back to the programme lists and try again- same thing.  I've had no problem before with iplayer so is anyone else having this problem?
I checked 4oD and I was able to watch (streaming) but the picture kept buffering and broke up a little at times and Demand 5 is just about playing but buffering like hell.
I've checked at different times of the day to see if that made a difference and this morning- still the same problem.  One of the reasons I got broadband was to watch the odd catch-up, I don't make a huge demand on the system (and I watch iplayer on the lower b-b width) and I am missing Defying Gravity!! Sad
What do you think the cause is - and can I do anything about it to improve matters?
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: problems with watching bbc iplayer?

Hi there,
I can't see anything on your account that would be doing this - there aren't any disconnections showing and your line profile is at 6500. Is there only one computer online at a time in your house? Sometimes if other people are using the connection at the same time it can slow things down.
If this isn't the case could you post the results from a BT speed test please? This can be run at http://www.speedtester.bt.com
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi Matt
Only 1 computer connected to my router/line.  If it's any help- I use an iMac PPC G5: OSX 10.4.11: Tiger : Safari (4.0.4 (4531.21.10))
Speed test results follows-

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
5602 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5602 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

What do you think?
helentroy
Dabbler

So- I've already done the BT speed test and then I do the BBC iplayer diagnostics at 17.15
BBC iplayer diagnostics
Results:
Download speed: 5891 kbps
Streaming Speed (1): 3123 kbps
Streaming Speed (2): 3092 kbps
Streaming Speed (3): 3098 kbps
My connection and available bandwidth: 3084 kbps.
Everything passed apart from TV - HD (3500 kbps) but that is not too important to me as I don't watch in HD.
But - if I can't get the iplayer window up to play or download for playing later, then there's not much I can do as I was already up and running fine and I have no idea now what's changed?
And there I was, from the beginning of November - quite content- recommending others and even getting ready to transfer my home phone to Plusnet as well!
I did the tests - as asked Matt/Plusnet- and I will do more if I know what I am supposed to be doing but please respond, even if you have no idea what to suggest. ?
Have I subscribed to a wet blanket and now (yet again) need to research for my new home-phone line.  Cry
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Does this mean anything?

Service: ADSL Dial
Posted: Tue, Dec 22 2009 at 15:34:05
Subject: Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Wednesday 23rd December 7.00am-7.30am
When's this work happening?
Tomorrow morning, 23rd December.
What does it affect?
Broadband traffic prioritisation.
How long will it take?
About half an hour.
What does the work involve?
We will be making some changes to help fix some recently identified performance problems affecting the use of the BBC's iPlayer service on the Nintendo Wii.
Is it likely to cause problems?
No it shouldn't do, however we'll be keeping a close eye on things for several hours after the changes have been made.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

shouldnt think so as a MAC is not A Nintendo Wii.
helentroy
Dabbler

Hello again Shutter and pierre_pierre
When I went on the bbc iplayer site to do the iplayer diagnostics I checked any services disruptions- the only ref was Wii.
However- the only thing connected to my broadband is my Mac and I don't do Wii.  I mean, I have done it at friends but it isn't something I would want to get for myself.  I prefer hands on and to do something- real- (but think my Wii rant should go to another area, like 'Rant') - so, whatever is happening is recent and only between my Mac and service provider and/or bbc iplayer...I'm thinking.....what else?
I've checked 4oD and Demand5 again and they play- but it is the sound track that keeps you in there while the picture keeps jumping to catch up. Very trippy, you get used to it after a while- until you give up. Cheesy
So those sites have also got worse so maybe it is not just a iplayer prob?
I'm hoping that because the earlier posted suggestion to do BT speed tests was from 'plusnet' that I might get some idea from 'plusnet' of where the problem might be - or not for that matter - because if this is the way it is going to be, then there is really no point in having b-b at home.  And still no Defying Gravity!
So- where to now?
greetings-
helen
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont really want to upset you but on my worn out laptop, with XP SP2, I just watched 5 mins of defying gravity with no problem, thats on the Value package as well
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I posted my 2d worth, because I could not see the relevance of only one type of machine being affected (wii) and thought there may well have been other issues on a wider view......
Where do you go from here?  Sorry..... don`t know.  Undecided
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi pierre_pierre
I'm not upset I'm just a little disappointed because I'm up to my ears with it and I was looking forward to my little bit of downtime and I seem to be spending all my time when I'm not working trying to sort out - yet another problem. I'm fed up with trouble shooting and testing and doing everything other then what I should be doing because things don't work. Crazy
Anyway - glad to hear your worn out laptop, with XP SP2 is doing the job but please don't tell me what happens (missing 4 episodes) because it looks like I'll have to rent the DVD when it comes out.
Helen
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi shutter
I appreciate 2d worths and that's the point, I'm trying to find out....is it me and my mac.. or is it something else?  The only way to find out is to put it out there and ask. 
Interestingly enough Matt/Plusnet asked me to do checks and post them - and I did and yet no response in reply to my tests so now what?
I'm not a tech- I'm not experienced with forums and trouble shooting etc- so I rely on help from others for advice 'n suggestions- and I really appreciate it.  Hopefully I will be able to repay the favour with my knowledge/experience in return but when it is in this particular arena - I am out of my depth and I'm the one asking but I would really prefer to be the one with at least some reasonable answers to offer in return. Oh well-
Thanks none the less
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and sorry to say I am not a Mac person.  But when iPlayer first came out it wasnt available for the Mac, I dont know, but is it a different version now to the M$S one?
helentroy
Dabbler

Hi
iplayer has been Mac compatible since sometime '08- what you have on the screen is the same PC or MAC (I stand corrected if wrong- but looks the same to me).  The point is I could watch it ok up to a few days ago and I don't know how to sort it as I don't know where it has gone wrong.  And why has Matt (Plusnet) not got back to comment on my speed tests etc?
I will ask on the Mac forum - see if any ideas.  
That is why we get broadband - so that we can go on forums- so that we can ask questions about how to fix our broad-band. Huh
Smiley
Update: iplayer just started working late last night- got no idea what happened but - hey ho! Smiley Guess it's just one of those things.