Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with media player 11

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

problems with media player 11

Hi,
I am having problems with media player 11. When I try to play a DVD the picture judders. I Have tried reinstalling media player 11 along with additional codecs but the problem persists. Has anyone any ideas please ?
Using Windows XP with intel duo 660.
Windows player did work at one time but I have installed many programs before discovering this fault.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: problems with media player 11

Have you got an nvidia graphics card? If so try updating your drivers, have read that this might help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried alternative media players?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

i'm given to understand that vlc is an excellent alternative that doesn't 'call home'.
samuria
Grafter

A great media player which is free is Gom Player and the new version is out today from
http://www.gomlab.com/eng/
See if that works ok. Have you got any other problems like installing some software or scripting errors when visiting webpages?
You could download javascript from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C717D943-7E4B-4622-86EB-95A22B832CAA&displa...
why I hear you ask well Media Player uses it and if its corrupt it doesnt work and does strange things both my sons had problems with it and istalling the javascript solved it and it worked ok after so its worth a  go
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks for all your responses,
Yes, I have a Nvida card so will update the drivers as suggested. I Did have a go with VLC player on another computer about 12 months ago but after installation I had a few problems with Nero but as I no longer use Nero I Guess it would be worth trying VLC again. GOM player looks interesting so will give that a whirl as well !
Just out of interest for those people who have access to Media player could I ask why you use one of these other players ? Do they offer more than media windows player ? also if I find one I wish to stick with should I uninstall windows media player if I no longer wish to use it or will this present problems ?
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
mal0z
Grafter

Both GOM & VLC offer more facilities - and they can play other format films etc etc.
Many programs provided with Windows are limited in the facilities - so why stick with them.
community
Grafter

I tried GOM and found it less than adequate.
I have had soooo many problems with Windows Media Player over the past few weeks ...mainly that I cannot get my sound card to allow me to listen to music using WMP (must be telling me something  Shocked ), that I have kicked it into touch as of today...and I now use the tried and well tested Winamp which I have had in reserve for many years.BTW, it is also free.
If you want a trouble-free player with lots of plusses and of course a great Media Library facility, try it.
cheers
StickyMick
Grafter

Sheeeeesh, tell me about it Roll_eyes I've given up watching DVDs through XP with any sort of media player. I've never been able to watch a DVD right through without it freezing for 30 seconds or more at various points in the movie. But I've been using KMPlayer for all my media playing, i.e listening to CDs and viewing short videos. Not tried it with DVDs yet tho, I've rigged up my old PentiumIII with PowerDVD for that. I've never seen the picture freeze in Win98SE.
KMPlayer - http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

K-Light and MPlayer clasic FTW! Grin
check out www.doom9.org for video related informations and downloads Wink