cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with macros

angelaandken
Dabbler

problem with macros

all of a sudden when using "word" I get a pop ups.  The first one reads-  This file contains macros with an expired or revoked signature. Since you are running under high security level these macros will be disabled.
When I close this, the next one pops up with---------
The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros.
I don't use macros. I don't think I have done anything different to make these boxes appear, and I don't know how to get rid of them. Please can someone help.
10 REPLIES 10
samuria
Grafter

Re: problem with macros

What version of Word are you running? Have you installed any software lately like Adobe reader? You have word set not to run macros hence the pop up. Something like Adobe reader has been installed which runs a macro in word for Adobe files.
You need to find out what the macro is and if its genuine like Adobe then enable it. You should be able to see what macros you have installed by viewing macros (depends on your version of word) the worrying bit is expired or revoked signature but this could be some old software you have installed
angelaandken
Dabbler

Thank you so much for responding. Alas I'm still at a loss at what to do.  I am just a normal silver surfer and only have a minimum knowledge of how a computer works.
My computer is from Dell and it was set up when it arrived in 2005.
I have looked in the macros bit of tools but still don't know what to look for. After your advise about Adobe I now remember a message recenly to update, which I did at the time. As I don't use this programe I have removed it but,  the problem still persists.
Thaks again for your help
regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quick clarification - do you get this when starting word or when opening a file
I assume you are using word 2003 - check by opening word then clicking on Help then About Microsoft Office Word - if it is Office 2003 does it say sp3 at the end - this is what mine says
angelaandken
Dabbler

Hi Oldjim
Thanks for responding, you guys are something else.
I get these messages when I open word. when I checked the help found out it is word 2002 and I do have the sp3 after it.  Didn't know about all that until you have just put me right, thanks.
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK - this is a known problem
Can you follow the instructions given here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q301638/ and report back
angelaandken
Dabbler

Reporting back.
Downloaded the help link you gave me. Only got so far.  method 1 I got as far as Modify in nos 3 the box that came up then didn't seem to correspond with the what should be there. i got the modifying location dialog box but there was nothing in it apart from the title "Start Up"
thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Will do some more thinking - won't be able to come back until tomorrow evening.
In the meantime some of the regulars may be able to help
samuria
Grafter

If you have up to date virus given you are no computer literate I would be inclined to set the security on macros lower and let it run which would stop the message. Once run you may then be able to view the macro and see what it is.
Before you do it I would be extra vigilant and do a virus scan of the pc first.
The chances are 99.9% its a harmless macro. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend

As it is pouring down I haven't gone walking so here is my next suggestion.
If you open Windows Explorer or My Computer and go to Program Files/Microsoft Office/Templates there should be a file called normal.dot (If there isn't can you do a search in the C drive for normal.dot)
Can you move this file to desktop - just a convenient temporary store
When you start Word it won't find it and therefore will create a new one with the default settings.
If this fixes the problem then all you need to do is change how you want Word to look and it will change the new file accordingly.
If, however, it doesn't fix it you can move the file back to where it came from (after closing Word) and you will be back where you were before.
angelaandken
Dabbler

hi I'm Back. Been away for a few days so been out of touch.
Well sorry to say I tried what you told me and still no joy. This is getting so frustrating, i'm getting all this great help but nothing seems to work.
Any more sugestions please!!!
Regards