cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pro add on?

reece251
Grafter

pro add on?

i am thinking of purchasing the pro add on when i get connected with plusnet on the 9th of april. I will be getting about an 11mb connection on my line. What will be the benefits for me if i buy the pro add on i do alot of online gaming and p2p downloading. Is it worth it?
19 REPLIES 19
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: pro add on?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are going on Unlimited it's likely to do nothing for you.
If you are going on Essentials the Pro add-on may be worth it - but given the cost you'd do better to go for Unlimited instead.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
reece251
Grafter

yeah im with unlimited
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With that product going for the Pro Add-on is almost certainly a waste of money.
To get 11Mbps downloads you must be on a 21CN exchange. Once connected I suggest checking your upload sync speed; if it is around 444kbps I suggest requesting it be changed to uncapped - a free upgrade. That will give up to 1Mbps upload which should be more beneficial than the Pro option would be.
David
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: reece251
i do alot of online gaming and p2p downloading. Is it worth it?

@SPRAXYT
As he does P2P its definitely  worth it. It upgrades from bronze to gold. It will make the speed quicker and torrents completed quicker.
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
reece251
Grafter

Are you sure Jamie? I'm not sure if I could trust a Newcastle supporter. Haha COYG!!!  But yeah I've seen a table somewhere showing prioritisations between bronze and gold. Will I become gold if I buy the pro add on?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@reece251 - Don't waste you money, P2P on "Unlimited" is at line speed.
The "Pro add-on" will only make the performance of everything else you do WORSE while P2P is running,
it does NOT uncap the P2P speed (on "Unlimited") as it does on the older products.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: JamieDanjoux
Quote from: reece251
i do alot of online gaming and p2p downloading. Is it worth it?

@SPRAXYT
As he does P2P its definitely  worth it. It upgrades from bronze to gold. It will make the speed quicker and torrents completed quicker.
Jamie

Absolute rubbish! It will increase his P2P speed from line speed all day to line speed all day - that''s right absolutely zero increase.
In addition it will mean that that there is a distinct probability that it will mean that P2P running in the background will stop things like streaming running properly.
reece251
Grafter

I joined plus net purely because they said I won't be slowed down no matter what I'm doing is this still true? Thanks for your help guys
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That is correct.
Previously capacity was limited so on the old accounts like Plusnet Extra things like P2P had to be slowed down at peak times.
They've now invested in a large increase in capacity so that Unlimited users can be kept running everything at full speed at all times (note you could however run in to local BT exchange contention - Plusnet and all other ISPs will encounter that. BT usually add capacity pretty quickly).
reece251
Grafter

good im glad thats still the case. How long did it take your order to get past the checking details stage on the order tracker? mine is still on checking details and its been 7 working days since i ordered.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Well I have seen an increase of torrents been downloaded quicker since the pro add on.  So unless its a hallucination or it atcually works also I asked my daughter a few months back once it had a lot of seeders to download a Flight Simulator and it took a week whereas it took someone else a month! So thanks PN!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

A few months back the current Plusnet Unlimited product was not on the market (it was released on 19/12/2012). Before that time the Pro Add-on *did* make a difference for all products during the evening peak hours.
So worth having then for line speed at all times, but not now - with current Unlimited this is default.
David
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

And how do you define a few months? I did the torrent in January when I had unlimited!!