Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing query

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

printing query

I use a dual booting setup, Windows 7 & Linux. The computer uses a wired link to the router.
I only ever use Linux when connected to the internet, a network switch is used to disconnect from the internet when using Windows 7.
I have a WiFi printer and whilst it will work with Linux ( I have downloaded the drivers from the makers website) there can be problems with some of the printed characters.
The disk supplied has windows drivers so is there someway I can use windows with the printer whilst at the same time not being connected to the internet.
I could wire the printer direct to the computer but if it's already set up to print via WiFi could this mess things up.
Thanks for your help
We are born into history and history is born into us.
1 REPLY 1
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: printing query

One possibility is to set a fixed (not static)* address for windows and to block that address in the router (or modem/router) so that traffic is not passed through the WAN interface. Not ideal, but does cover your immediate need.
Phil
* a fixed address is independent of the MAC address thereby allowing Linux normal internet access using DHCP
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.