Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer issues (again)

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

printer issues (again)

My canon ip4300 has suddenly decided it doesn't want to print black from the black cartridge. Bkack from the cli-8 works fine as do all of the colours. I have done deep cleans etc. Removed the print head and soaked it for a few hours in warm water, and even removed the ceramic and cleaned up the rubbers underneath.  Put back together and still the same.  Colours ok but black from the black cartrigde nothing. Could this be the print head itself even though it detected and reports all the cartridges ok? Would repeat cleaning with isopropyl alcohol be worth doing?
9 REPLIES 9
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: printer issues (again)

Does it do a nozzle check OK? If not it could be a blocked head, try cleaning with IPA and or an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

It did a nozzle check OK, but no output from the Black text cartridge, but all other colours C,Y,M and the black pigment were OK.
I have soaked it again in warm water, and eventually got some printing from the cartridge, ruling out a printhead failure.  Unfortunately the black has now run out of ink  Crazy
I am going to resoak in IPA, and then give a good clean in warm distilled water.  Its very odd as last week was working fine.....
Will let yo know...  Thanks for the advice
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Still not worked. Get an output of the black now but very sreaky and no matter how many head cleans is not getting better. Printing nirmanor results in complete gaps in text. I suspect the head itself, and now resigned to buying a new one. Looking at a pixma mg6650. It seems almost impossible nowadays to get a decent printer that isnt a multifunction job. I have a perfectly decent scanner that also does negatives etc. Anyone recommend an inkjet only that has auto duplex, and prints decent quality photos borderless.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: penfold
Anyone recommend an inkjet only that has auto duplex, and prints decent quality photos borderless.

If you find one let me know as well, not many do auto duplex any more.
You could get a new head but it will probably cost as much as a new printer.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Randomly searching amazon and found this
Canon pixma ip7250. Its not a multifunction and has autoduplex. Odd its on at 2 prices on amazon £50 and £60.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Looks nice only £39 HERE
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Good spot. Hadnt had a good look around online at that point. Have you used these suppliers before?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Nope but that came via google shopping, as long as the printer is new does it matter where it came from?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Nah. As long as its new like you say.  I will likely buy on  credit card anyhow so covered if anything unexpected happens.  Placing an order when I get home later. Thanks for the reply.