cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer issues again, possible router issue??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

printer issues again, possible router issue??

Had issues with a wireless printer recently, which was solved after the advice in my original thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Wireless-printer-issues/m-p/1304338/hi...

Its started happening again, and again rebooting the router cured it. After it did it today, I tried pinging the printer nothing..... Tried accessing the printer via the app on my tablet, again nothing, which to my mind made it a printer issue. I couldnt access the printer webpage, via its IP, but according to the router it was active with a valid IP.  I turned wireless off and on via the button on the router, and amazingly all came back to life. During this time, all other wireless devices were working fine. I am a little unsure of the causes of this, currently I have given the printer a proper static IP, rather than a reserved using the printer webpage, but now although all devices can see and use the printer, it dosnt show up in the router GUI anymore, or using telnet command 'hostmgr list' at all!!!  Only devices that have DHCP IPS show up in the router GUI.  Its a TG582n, on the most recent fibre firmware.

Anyone any ideas

5 REPLIES 5
Casey
Rising Star

Re: printer issues again, possible router issue??

I've looked into this (I have one too, an Epson wifi printer)

The various forums suggest A] manually fix an IP on the printer as well as the router and B] if you still have issues, stop the router from automatic channel, try a manual channel of 1 or 11 (if yours is on 6, for e.g. - an opposite extreme end of the range)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well I think Ive finally fixed this...  After some searching, I found that the printer has a Web page.  Managed to log into this, and manually gave it an IP address outside of the routers DHCP range, and then deleted the device from the TG582n wireless list, where it was still classed as having a DHCP address. All seems to work fine, but the router seems to know nothing about this device now, it dosnt display in its list of connected devices, either via the GUI or telnet.  THis router does have issues with IP addressing, as every so often, it appears not to release addresses, and starts doling out IPs in the 90s and 100s, (192.168.1.100 etc) even though I only have 7 devices on my network. It continues to do this giving devices larger and larger IPs until I manually wther reboot the router, or clear its DHCP routing list. Anyone any ideas why it does this

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well this didnt work either....  Its been fine up until today. Switched on printer as normal.  Went to print something, and nothing.

Tried to connect to the webpage, and it just timed out over and over. Fixed it by switching off wireless on the router, and then switching back on, all fine.

Oddly, all other wireless devices working fine.  I really am stumped now.  Is it a printer or a router issue?Huh

Would really welcome any advice.

Lurch
Rising Star

@penfold wrote:
Is it a printer or a router issue?Huh

I would usually lean towards it being a printer issue as they all seem to have a mind of their own these wireless printers. That said, the router isn't exactly the best either, but I will still favour the printer being at fault.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Yeah would tend to agree, but it is odd that turning wireless on and off via the button on top of the router cures the issue. I was thinking the printer goes to sleep and when switched back on again doesn't wake up, but why would the wireless fix work. I'm leaning more towards router being a bit poor, but will also contact canon for their opinion.