Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer cartridges.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

printer cartridges.

Sorry the title is a bit misleading.
I was trying to print in black & white but I have a problem. All my photos come out pink.  It is impossible to put cartridges in printer incorrectly.
I have checked all settings in printer settings. Loaded latest drivers for printer.Even tried taking a photo in black and white and printing that directly ( I am printing, or trying to, black & white from colour pics).
I cannot even remove the colour to force printing from black cartridge, it won't run without both cartridges.
It will print text correctly in black.
Any suggestions anyone?
It's a H P  C4280. O/S Windows 7, 64 bit.
11 REPLIES 11
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: printer cartridges.

Have you tried running any print head cleaning/alignment routines?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

adagio
Grafter

What application(s) are you printing from? When you say B&W ok for text is that the same application from which you are attempting to print your pics?
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Using HP photosmart software. Printed test page ( text) and alignment page (text and image) ok.
Ran cleaning cycle three times.
Also printed text from notepad ok.
Very confusing.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Try it on another program .... E.G. .. Irfanview...( Free & simple to use)... 
If it still does it, then the printer driver may be corrupt... or the printer itself may be .....
If it works ok on another program, then the HP photosmart is corrupt....
Mav

Also, do you have another PC, laptop or other device that you can connect and print directly from for further testing?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys. After dinner will try on another laptop. If successful, will delete the HP software and use something else.
Sometimes you're too close to the problem to think rationally. I should have thought of this myself.  Huh
shutter
Community Veteran

That HP photosmart software is just bloat stuff anyway... you know how to file your pics in folders.... you know how to edit them... so why would you need Photosmart?
If you only do basic photo editing.. ( like changing a pic from colour to monochrome, or sepia,... cropping, or improving/changing contrast ) then you only need a simple editing prog like IRFANVIEW.
If you want to do more, then a dedicated program, ( also FREE ) is PhotoPosPro..... works much the same as very expensive Photoshop... but without any licence or cash problems...
Mav

Whenever I have to install printer software I only ever install the drivers and never any of the other crap they push your way.

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Again thanks guys. Never really thought about their software, just installed it as a matter of course.
Finally sorted out my printing problem. Fitted New colour cartridge and all is ok.  I made one simple, and wrong, assumption. I assumed that a black & white print, would only use black ink. I was wrong.
That combined with the fact I am using refilled cartridges - which the printer always tell me are empty unless they are new- meant a very frustrating couple of hours trying to resolve the issue.
Will definitely look at a different photo editing program/suite.  Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran

Good to know you got it sorted.... problem with the likes of HP, is they make more money from the ink cartridges than from the printer... so they make the programs "spy" on your print cartridges and tell you when you need to buy NEW ones....
With "third party" print programs you do not get this "spying" so with using refilled or "after market" ( tesco ) replacements should hopefully be OK.
TORPC
Grafter

And printer ink manufacturers
Tell you they are empty when there is clearly plenty left that could print quite a few more pages
Some also have their printers to waste ink by periodically cleaning the print heads if the printer(s) are left switched on.
Always switch off the printer(s) when not in use