cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powerline adapters

philwakely

powerline adapters

I'm not sure which board to which this should be posted -so feel free to move it as appropriate......
My daughter has a desktop PC and a Sky+ box in her upstairs bedroom of our home. The broadband router (soon to be fibre) is downstairs and there is a considerable difference in speed between her bedroom and the router location.  Reading all of the blurb on powerline adapters, this appears to be the ideal scenario, so I am considering adding a couple of them - one by the router and the other in daughter's bedroom.
However, I read that the powerline adapters need to be installed on the same physical electric circuit. Checking our electric consumer board, it appears that the upstairs and downstairs sockets are on separate circuits, so the question I need to ask is.......... are powerline adaptors appropriate?

12 REPLIES 12
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: powerline adapters

@phil simple answer, it's not a nono having  Powerline adapters  on separate rings or spurs.
I have that, using one near the router and three others talking to that and each other. They are one office with desktop, one media centre with Youview box, sky+ box and blueray player and another room with smartTV.
But the technology is notoriously variable in implementation and IMHO, if you can afford it, I would invest in some and give it a try. I have products from Solwise an TPLink happily working together but I also have a desk drawer with some units which didn't perform. By the way our house was built in the 1920's and has a very complicated wiring system.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used TP Link Powerline AV500 adapters and not had any issues and they perform great, if you can get the triple lan pass-thru versions that way you don't need a switch (hub) in the bedroom as there is room for the PC and Sky Box with one to spare, nor do you lose a socket.
philwakely

@PeterLoftus  @Mook  Many thanks for your responses. I'll get some and see whether it does improve things.
PeterLoftus
Pro

FWIW I have two Solwise 500AV units working downstairs between the media centre and the router with TPLink 200AV units on the SmartTV on the first floor and on the desktop on the second floor. I did try 500AV units upstairs but found that they lost sync. I think the higher the speed the more sensitive to noise and poor signal strength.
I also use Nero Mediahome on the SmartTV and BlueRay player to play my music collection from my desktop using the power line adaptors
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
TCSC
Dabbler

The instructions of my Cisco powerline extender kit say that they should be on the same mains circuit. However, I am using them on different mains circuits and they are working acceptably. I use Oogla to test their speed periodically and it is as fast as I manage on WiFi at about 20 to 25 MBps or more. I do see that the speed goes up and down during the few seconds of test by about 4MBps and sometimes more, which I put down to noisy mains, but I don't really know why.
Bottom line is that it works for me, but I may be lucky for some unknown reason.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: spoon
Quote from: greshoff
I think the issue is to do with the ring main circuits. Houses usually have separate ring circuits for upstairs and downstairs. You cannot use hopeplugs/powerline adapters across ring main circuits. ie plug one in upstairs and the other downstairs

I've successfully used PA-211 not only on different ring circuits, but ring circuits on different fuse boxes (but on the same meter).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not down to the ring circuit it's down to being on the same phase, or if there is an isolation transformer in the way.
PeterLoftus
Pro

I don't know of any three phase wired houses in the UK. I've had three phase in hot climates with heavy air-conditioning loads.  Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, didn't explain that very well. I meant the (your) signal will carry across all properties on the same phase, unless there is an isolation transform in the way.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Typically, along a road, every third house will be on the same phase (often there's an indicator of the phase near the meter). So it's possible for the signal to be picked up in a different house.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

I have a pair of  Edimax HP-6002AC's that I use to link my Youview+ box to the router. The house has two RCD consumer units (one fed from the other) as a consequence of being extended. The TV end is on a ring main off the first box, the router on a ring main off the second box.
Although the Edimax units are rated for 600Mbs, I get about 40Mbs. If I move the TV unit onto the same ring as the router I can get closer to 300MBs between them. However as the fibre broadband is only 40Mbs the TV works just fine across the two rings.
With different ring mains on the same consumer unit you should do a bit better ( apparently its the RCD's in the consumer units that attenuate the signal)
TCSC
Dabbler

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I don't know of any three phase wired houses in the UK. I've had three phase in hot climates with heavy air-conditioning loads.  Smiley

Houses on three phases do exist in the UK and more are being built. There are some very rich people out there nowadays and their energy use is quite a bit more than the 100 amp rated incoming can supply, that the rest of us use. Some people earn silly money for doing what?, so what do you spend it on? For a start everybody has on-suite showers in as many bedrooms as possible.
Mind you, the sort of person who has this sort of money, doesn't need to come here for advice. They simply hire somebody else to do it.