cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet protect & win8

Adrian_K

plusnet protect & win8

does plusnet protect work on win8?
on this http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/plusnet_protect.shtml page compatible operating systems doesn't list Windows8 but then again it doesn't say it isn't compatible (like Mac).
ta
Adrian
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: plusnet protect & win8

Hi there,
It doesn't at present I'm afraid, it's being looked at but I wouldn't expect anything particularly soon.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Given that McAfee Internet Security 2013 (released Sept 2012) supports Windows 8  http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/MIS_DataSheet_2013.pdf would it be correct to say that what Plusnet offer is an out of date version with poorer protection and if so which version is it
Gazzer
Dabbler

I have installed it on my Win8 PC and it appears to be running but it has made some of the apps run slow or hang so I am probably going to uninstall and go back to the free AVG I had before.
borgred
Dabbler

well if this is still the case if your on 8 then your computer is at risk nice one what a company
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Why use it, its mcafee which is appalling, when there are decent free alternatives available
borgred
Dabbler

thats not the point though,the service should still be up to date if its offered,new customers should be aware if they are on windows 8 what a joke
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think the point is that Windows 8 comes with perfectly good free security software pre-installed that you would be mad to try and replace with the dreadful McAfee.  Plusnet is offering this because BT do likewise and they are part of BT.  But the idea of an ISP offering you security software has passed its sell-by date and Plusnet should wake up and stop doing it. 
Roberto0151
Grafter

You have to watch it though.  My windows 8 computer (Lenovo) came with MacAfee pre-installed AND activated and it took a fair amount of trouble to uninstall MacAfee in order activate Windows Defender, which was hidden in the small print.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I am of the impression that Plusnet Protect *does* support Windows 8.
[quote author="the depths of Bob's Inbox"]Downloads of Plusnet Protect (McAfee) made since 25th October 2012 onwards are Windows 8 compatible (this version is identified by the WSS (Windows Security Services) component as migrated from 11.0 to 11.6).
Customers on Windows 7 who had installed Plusnet Protect prior to this date will have all received an upgrade by mid-November, so long as they’ve connected to the Internet.  If they upgrade to Windows 8 in the future it will just ‘work’.
Customers on XP/Vista would be well advised to uninstall and do a fresh install from the add-ons page if upgrading their old PC to Windows 8.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

So are you going to tell Matt then  Lips_are_sealed
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I did prior to making that post. He was confusing things with Plusnet Assist.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I can think of several things that Plusnet Assist and Plusnet Protect have in common - but none of them are good.