cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

php programming

juliasdream
Grafter

php programming

I'm managing to build websites using Dreamweaver and my knowledge of html.
I built a site for someone and they are very satisfied only they want to have the ability to make changes themselves.
Nothing really complicated, just adding photos and text from time to time.
I dont think they will want to pay out a fortune for it
I'm wondering if there are any programs out there to do this or do I need an expert php programmer?
4 REPLIES 4
samuria
Grafter

Re: php programming

You have the software Dreamweaver depending what version you have yo can set editable areas so people can edit some of the page only which is probably all you need. This way they can just change a picture but not touch the rest of the page. You could use xml on the page so again they dont touch the page just change the xml
mal0z
Grafter

Adobe contribute is advertised to do just this .
I've not personally used it - so wonder what others here think about it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/
zubel
Community Veteran

Perhaps some sort of CMS would be interesting?
It's fairly easy to *use* a CMS, but a little trickier to theme one.  That being said, it's a very good skill to have.
B.
decomplexity
Rising Star

You could use xml on the page so again they dont touch the page just change the xml
A sound principle. Ideally, you need to keep the user out of the web pages themselves altogether unless you use DW templates (with editable /noneditable regions). Contribute is effectively a server-based implementation of DW templates which allow centralised control of who can do what; it is probably overkill - and too expensive - for what you want.
Suggest you look at two things - both easy to implement:
- SSI (server side includes) which allow any web page to import any other HTML on the fly. Your user can then create text (or any HTML)  for any points in the page where you decide he/she may do so, FTP upload it, and that's that. You will need to give the user some cast-iron rules about what they must not do, mainly using HTML tags in text which may destroy the look of the host page. But they cannot do permanent damage because the host page remains unaltered.
- use of Coffeecup's  Photo Gallery (v. cheap) which will allow them to add photos into a static or rotating photo display at the point or points in the page you decide. Photo Gallery creates Flash code without the need for the expensive Adobe Flash developers system, and it needs no software to be installed on the server. Note that the usual problems with users adding photos directly to a web page are that the page ends up looking terrible (no whitespace margins around the photos for example) and that photos get imported without drastic size reduction: an unreduced photo from a modern digital camera will totally blow a web page.
Do by all means have a go at using PHP (not on PN CGI servers as they are planned to be removed:  sign up for 'preview PAYH') . You could, for example, create a PHP form for the user to update instead of their uploading text. This will give you the opportunity to clean up their input and remove unwanted tags.   
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017