cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pfSense 2.2 (open source firewall) - just released ! - (24th-Jan-2015)

Anonymous
Not applicable

pfSense 2.2 (open source firewall) - just released ! - (24th-Jan-2015)

As the title says,   open source firewall  pfSense 2.2   has finally been released !    Smiley
pfSense 2.2 announcement
pfSense downloads page
pfSense website

Cool

7 REPLIES 7
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: pfSense 2.2 (open source firewall) - just released ! - (24th-Jan-2015)

Wish I'd known about this before installing Comodo the other day...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know exactly where you are coming from !  Roll_eyes
Yesterday afternoon, after 180 days uptime, I powered down my pfSense box to replace a noisy fan and install some fan speed reducers, blew the box clean with compressed air, upgraded the wireless adaptor, refitted the router, updated pfSense to the latest (v2.1.5), and upgraded the installed packages (including Squid3 caching proxy) to the newest revisions.
Back online in less than an hour while the family were out for the afternoon - so the house was quiet for listening to reduced fan speeds, and no other demands on the internet.  I was pleased to have successfully got several jobs done in one go, and looked forward to attempting to exceed another 180 days uptime before anything else needed doing to it.

Then exactly four hours later (at 18:00), I received the email from pfSense to say that the major revision v2.2 had just been released.
IanSn
Rising Star

Grin
But... is something wrong with my connection tonight or are those mirrors crawling? I can't wait that long to download 84mb!
Try again tomorrow.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the UK mirrors do seem slow at the moment.  Sad
I'm currently seeing 70KB/s which is approximately 21 minutes to download the .iso file.
I've never seen it that slow before, normally upgrades and full downloads take just a few minutes.  Shocked
I'm not surprised though, as this release is a massive improvement on the 2.1.x versions,
and will be a popular upgrade which a lot of people have been waiting a long time for.
Cool
IanSn
Rising Star

Yes, that's a point.
No rush - it'll take a while to make sure i've got rid of everything Comodo first!....
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tonight, download speeds from the pfSense UK mirrors is MUCH FASTER (than yesterday),
I'm currently getting about 760KB/s, which is about as fast as my congested exchange and 20CN ADSL line can provide.
Roll_eyes
IanSn
Rising Star

Got rid of Comodo. Too much, way too much. (Give them due - does have efficient uninstaller.)
pfsense download fluctuated wildly - variously 30s remaining to 20 mins remaining from start to finish - but got inside a few minutes in the end.
Need to look at the installation page!