Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pdf editor

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

pdf editor

Anybody know of a reasonable (and preferably free downloadable) pdf editor that works without having to upgrade to an expensive pro version? I have an apparently lite version of one that won't actually edit until (expensively) upgraded so is only effectively a viewer.
Problem is, due to health reasons my bowls club fixtures booklet cannot be completed by the usual chap this year, and needs to be done quite soon. So a quick way round might be to edit last years.
The booklet contains a lot of local ads which bring in a considerable amount of funds for the club. However from year to year there are few changes to the ads but the fixtures list its self and pep-talk notes from chairman and captains etc would need to be rewritten.
Last years booklet is available as a pdf file.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: pdf editor

One way is to try PDF-Xchange Viewer and if the limited editing (cross out and insert)  isn't enough then use the built in OCR system
Don't forget to uncheck the Ask Toolbar during install
petlew
Pro

Thanks Jim, I also have the PDF-Xchange Viewer available, I hadn't realised it was anything but a viewer. I'll get on to that straight away.
pdf is not something I get involved with much apart from instruction manuals which often come that way nowadays. PDF-Xchange Viewer is my default viewer so perhaps I should take a bit more interest in it.
Thanks again.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

alternative is to use pdfsam (opensource)
http://www.pdfsam.org/download/
Burst the PDF into single pages and keep the advertisments, re-write and convert the fixtures etc in MS word or whatever, convert to single page PDF's and re-merge the entire document.
petlew
Pro

Again thanks journeys.
This has blown up over the week end, several people have been c.c'd into the call for help. I don't actually have the raw pdf file yet. Just trying to be ready if I get the call (which historically I probably will)

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Don't forget Libre Office http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ has the ability to save documents as pdf too.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I've been using Nitro Pro to create and edit pdfs for the past few months. Not free but a lot cheaper than the Adobe UK price. Seems to work well and they have a 40% off special offer today only according to their web site.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

A large consutancy I worked for used free sofware " Cute PDF#  http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp whe installed it appeared as a printer and you could produce a PDF from any software. You selected print using Cute and chose where you wanted to save the PDF. Smiley
How cheap can you get for a professional outfit    Shocked
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've used http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ for a number of years.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petlew
Pro

Whilst waiting for the arrival of the raw pdf, I'm going to look at all the options offered here. I already have Libre Office but only use it to open certain documents that refuse to open correctly in MS Word so had largely been forgotten about it.
As always when a member has a problem there's never any shortage of assistance on these forums. Many thanks guy's..