cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc keeps forgetting Thomson Gateway password

alberthall2
Dabbler

pc keeps forgetting Thomson Gateway password

I have 1 desktop and 2laptops using Vista and XP connected to my Thomson router.
If trying to access the Thomson Gateway, a password is needed.  The dailogue box offers to remember the passwore, however, in about 50% of times, the password has been forgotten and has to be re-enetered.  Same problem under Vista and XP.
Can anybody help, please?
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: pc keeps forgetting Thomson Gateway password

Do you mean the router login password gets lost?  Do you have other passwords that don't or is that the only one?  Could you be over-zealous in cleaning your browser data cache?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Which browser are you using? Also as Reed says unless you tell your browser to keep the passwords and cookies for that particular site it will forget your password when you clear your internet history.
alberthall2
Dabbler

Thanks Gentemen for your replies. Smiley
Answers to your questions as follows:
No, it's not the password which the router must send to plusnet to log on.  It's only required if I wish to change eg wi-fi settings, or see how long I've been logged on since the last line crash. (ie the "Thomson Gateway")
I don't actively clean my browser cache.  (Delete browsing history on exit unchecked.)  (I have now gone into the Privacy tab, pressed [sites] and entered the ip address of the router with "allow".  Do you think that will help?)
Difficult tosay whether any other password gets forgotten, because I normally say NO to remember password, as most others would be a security risk.
My browser is Internet Explorer 8
would appreciate any further assitance  Thanks Smiley
alberthall2
Dabbler

Just found that going into the Privacy tab, pressing [sites] and entering the ip address of the router with "allow" did not work - it is still forgettign the password.
Over to you!
many thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: alberthall2
It's only required if I wish to change eg wi-fi settings, or see how long I've been logged on since the last line crash. (ie the "Thomson Gateway")

That's what I mean by the router login password.  With Plusnet-supplied routers it is annoyingly long and on a sticker on the router.
I don't actively clean my browser cache.

But you might have some other software that takes it upon itself to do it for you.  Some versions of Norton do this, for example.  The fact that it happens on all your computers means it must be caused by something that is common to all your computers; like some bit of software you thought was so good that you installed it on all your machines.

I have now gone into the Privacy tab, pressed [sites] and entered the ip address of the router with "allow".  Do you think that will help?

No, but you found that out already.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I use firefox not IE but you may be able to adapt what I'm saying to your situation. Try going to the homepage of the router, add it to your favourites and log in. If it asks you if you want to save the password say yes it's not that big of a security risk. Check through your privacy settings there may be a list of site not too flush. Fine the router home page and add it to the list.
Other than that keep a note pad file with the password in on your desktop and just copy and paste it in  Smiley

Just thought I'd mention if your looking elsewhere for answers as well it's your browser that's forgetting the login details as oppose the PC.
alberthall2
Dabbler

Dear Reed,
your point 1: Understood.  confirmed
your point 2:  Theonly software common to all 3 machines is Fuji finepix camera software.  This is used to transfer pictures from a camera to the hard disc, and has a picture viewing and editing function.  One of thelaptops is a work one, and I am not allowed to do anything to it!  Do you think this software might be doing it?  sounds unlilely!
your point 3:  now settled.
many thanks

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

...The only software common to all 3 machines is Fuji finepix camera software.   Do you think this software might be doing it? 

No, I'm sure it would not.
alberthall2
Dabbler

Dear Reed and AverageWB,
Apologies for not replying earlier. Lips_are_sealed
However, after some research and some good luck, I have discovered the  following 3 things:
1.  The demand for a password seems to act like a screensaver on a network, where,  if you leave your PC for a certain time, the screesaver activates, and, for securty reasons, you have to put in your password to get in again.  With the Thomson Gateway, a password is demanded if you leave it for more than 20 minutes and then try to refresh thescreen (F5).  Convesely, it does not if you leave it for less than 20 minutes.  Interesting!  Shocked
2.  If, instead of using an already open window in IE, you establish a new link to the Thomson Gateway, it always supplies the password.  GOOD!
3.  If, however, you try to refresh an existing window after 20 minutes as mentioned above, you get the password request dialogue box.  If you clik on OK, it comes back with the password request again, but this time it supplies the required pasword as a default.  EVEN BETTER!  Smiley
So, I have stumbled across two solutions to my problem.  Thanks vey much for you input.
X
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you look carefully through your router settings you may well find one that controls how long the login session lasts before it expires and asks you to login again.  So if 20 minutes is too short for you, you can set something longer.  On my Netgear router the default idle timeout is 10 minutes but this can be changed on the same page that you can use to change the router login password.
alberthall2
Dabbler

Reed, I have searched the router settings, and whilst I have found the password change option, I cannot find an option to change the timeout settings.  However, per my observation no.3, by hitting the [OK] button twice, I do not have to re-enter the password.  So I am more than content with that solution.
Your help, as ever, is greatly appreciated.