cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pagefile.sys

morgan2476
Grafter

pagefile.sys

Hi Folks could someone help me here?  I did a treesize check on my hard drives and I noticed that there is the above file on each of my drives.  They are taking up a lot of space.  Can I delete them?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: pagefile.sys

No. They are the windows page file or swap file and are used to extend the amount of memory available to windows when running applications. You typically have a pagefile 2 x the amount of memory you have fitted but it can be smaller or larger.
However... You don't normally have page files on each of the disks (although you can have) so you need to see what virtual memory (pagefiles) Windows is configured to use. You can then delete the ones it is not using.
How you find out depends on the version of Windows you are using. Just google for 'windows page file' or 'pagefile.sys'

morgan2476
Grafter

Yes I do realise that I need one pagefile, but what I cannot understand why there is a pagefile on each of the drives.  Did I make a mistake when I installed windows 7?  How do I remove the pagefiles on the other drives?
Donald
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I just checked on Windows 7 and I only have it on the C: drive and not the other 5 (only two physical drives as the rest are partitions)
To change them
Open Control Panel
Click on System
Advanced System Settings
Performance - Settings
Advanced
Virtual Memory - change
It should look like this
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you follow Oldjim's advice you can temporarily set zero virtual memory (by selecting 'No paging file').  This should remove the pagefile(s) after you restart the computer.  If that doesn’t happen you can safely delete them (assuming that the computer lets you).  After you have rationalised your pagefiles,  return your virtual memory settings to what they were originally.  This will cause some or all of the pagefiles to return, but this procedure should get rid of any that are redundant.  
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I usually defragment the disk before creating the page file or amending the size.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
morgan2476
Grafter

Problem solved - On the virtual memory view "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" was ticked.  Unticked the box - deleted the files and everything is ok.
Thanks to all who responded.
Donald
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I presume by this you mean that you got rid of all but one of the pagefiles?