cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pagefile.sys on SSD

Mav
Fixes: 515

pagefile.sys on SSD

My 60GB SSD containing W7 64 Pro usually has around 10 or 11GB free but lately it has been showing 1GB or thereabouts.
A little digging and I found it contained file called pagefile.sys of almost 10GB. I checked the settings and I have no Virtual Memory set on any of the drives so can't understand where this came from.
I shall keep an eye on it to see if it returns but are there any reasons it should?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: pagefile.sys on SSD

Are you very sure about that as when you installed W7 it would have set the virtual memory to let Windows decide
This is what I have
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The Samsung application used with my Samsung SSD has set paging for the drive at 200MB initial and 1024MB maximum.
This is with an Operating System optimisation of 'Maximum Reliability' (Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium)
Currently the size is 200MB.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

@Oldjim One of the first things I did after installing W7 was to turn off Virtual Memory for all drives and this was confirmed by the screen capture in the first pic (when I scroll down the list all drives state None).
Having deleted the Pagefile.sys file I rechecked the Virtual Memory settings and got the message in the second pic just before the window opened. A quick search through the Boot drive and no pagefile.sys could be found and no change in the Virtual Memory set up window, either, as all drives still indicate 'None'.
@strat After reading a fair amount about SSDs before installing mine it was suggested that with 16GB of RAM I'd not have any requirements for Virtual Memory.
Edit: There's some good information here.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Mav
Edit: There's some good information here.

... which is actually rather cautious about advising you to completely disable the pagefile.  Since your system has so much RAM it will rarely need to use the pagefile.  So you could use the option to have a single pagefile for all drives and locate it off your SSD and/or you could set a pagefile but restrict its maximum size.  Both these options are workarounds to your fundamental problem, I know, but I had a quick look and could find no obvious direct solution.
Mav

Strange thing is that I have checked the Virtual Memory settings previously without getting that error message so not sure why that has started now.
I will leave things as they are and keep an eye on the Boot drive free space. If it gets low again and it's the pagefile.sys issue then I may set up Virtual Memory on one of the internal HDDs and see how that pans out.

picbits
Rising Star

What is the date on the pagefile.sys if you right click -> properties ?
It could be an old file.
Mav

It's long gone now... but I doubt that it's an old file based on the recent and reasonably sudden drop in free space that matched the size of the file.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Regarding page file
It is usually a good idea to have a smallish pagefile on the boot disk as this enables a kernel crash dump to be saved http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2008/01/08/understanding-crash-dump-files.aspx  which is what I have it set to
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I put pagefile on both of the HDD's but disabled on the SSD,  as per attached
this allows me to see things like dumprep.exe, retain all error logs and even though I also have 16GB of ram it costs me nothing to also have 16GB or swapfile on each drive Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Oldjim
Resting Legend

On XP and Vista this only works with a registry change http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950858
By using the DedicatedDumpFile registry entry in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Vista, a user can configure a registry setting to store a dump file in a location other than on the boot volume. The following information describes the DedicatedDumpFile and DumpFileSize registry entries, respectively:
or a hot fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916157/en-us but on Win 7 it can be changed more easily http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/204214-dump-file-change-default-location.html although until you posted I wasn't aware of that
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah I edited the location when I opened admin tools >system configuration and just entered the file location I wanted it to use, you can also change the location for the WER file point as well (mines on my d drive) but that required the use of junctions to hard link the location for the windows directory ....
I wouldn't advise someone to play with that though without a lot of reading up on it Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you