cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old phone installation

colinc995

old phone installation

My phone line comes into the house to a small terminal block then extended to an  old style old line connection box.  Could this have any effect on my modest 2.4mb  and the next question what would be the cost of  a new style BT box     
  linc995
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: old phone installation

We need a little more information.
First the state of your connection
From the router what are the reported noise margin, attenuation and speeds (if you don't know how to get them put your router in here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php)
Second a little more information about the wiring in your house
Do you have any other sockets or is there only the one connection box.
Regarding fitting a new style socket - I am not fully up to date on that but I believe it is in the range of £100 - £150 (probably nearer £150)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have the same set up as you and I am now on ADSL2+ and syn is 16M, my download as below
Oh and welcome to the forum
geoffp0
Grafter

Like Oldjim said if you go to BT it will cost you a lot of money I would suggest that you look in your local Thompson directory or yellow pages for a phone engineer, I recently had an extension put into the conservatory by a non BT company and it cost me £56
Geoff Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: colinc995
My phone line comes into the house to a small terminal block then extended to an  old style old line connection box.  Could this have any effect on my modest 2.4mb 

Provide you disconnect the ring wire on any extensions and don't actually have any "star" wiring it won't have much (if any) effect.
colinc995

thanks to all who have replied to my query.  my broadband went off line shortly after i posted it took 10 days to finally locate the fault somewhere in the exchange after i did all the usual checking including fitting a new router.nice to report the outcome was satisfactory with an increase in download speed to 4.6Mbs