cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old pc rebuild

nevglufc
Dabbler

old pc rebuild

I have an old pc running me (i know its useless, but its a spare for kids msn).
How do I rebuild it and reload win me back on it.
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: old pc rebuild

Not enough info to answer...
Do you have a copy of Me on CD?
Is this a name brand PC that came with a restore CD / restore partition or an OEM brand that has no windows S/W?
Do you want to completely rebuild it or fix it due to a windows problem?
If you can explain exactly what you want to do and what media / software you have then we may be able to assist.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Why do you need to rebuild it? Do you have some new parts to install? If not, don't take it apart (if it ain't broke, don't fix it).
To reinstall windows ME just put the ME disk into the PC and reboot it - provided you opt to boot from the CD rather than the hard drive you'll boot straight into the Windows install program. Follow this through and you'll have a fresh install of windows ME (insert sarky comment here).
Hope that helps,
nevglufc
Dabbler

I wanted a clean wipe of all the dross on the disks the kids have loaded.  have managed to format the hard drive .
I have a win98 disk and a me upgrade
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

If I remember, just load the Me upgrade CD and during the install it will ask for proof of a previous OS to upgrade from. Just put the Win98 CD in the system when asked and it should then do a full install of Me.
I know an XP upgrade works that way but not 100% sure if Me did as well as it is so long ago since I did one, but give it a go.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi Peter, unfortunately the Me upgrade never worked for me that way, on the 3 occasions I reloaded Me I had to the have 98 preloaded (or at least some previous Windows OS, would have upgraded 95 as well I believe) I expected it to work "your way" but it didn't for some reason. Although oddly the upgrade from Me to 2000 did exactly as you suggest. Which made the Me upgrade a rather long winded process on a formatted disk.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

So... just install Wn98 then throw the Me CD away  Grin as its one of MSs worst OSs (although Vista may be catching up on that front Wink )
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could always just put Ubuntu (linux) on it. This will run things like interminable MSN sessions and web browsing etc, etc...
Save you the bother of all that defragging, anti-virus, active-X and the like that is commonly such a pain on Windows.
[I'm assuming that you are on broadband here].
BTW It's free of charge.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nevglufc
Dabbler

all cleared now thanks for all your help