Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

office 365 issues

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

office 365 issues

I have office 365 installed on my laptop.  I have noticed that everytime win 10 does an update, and there are office updates, these updates break the office file associations.  Instead of opening word documents with word 2016, it appears to want to use Microsoft Open XML Converter, as default, that does open word, but the file location in the top banner is very odd, and not the file location.  Its like Wd0000015[Read only] [Compatability mode], even if the file was created in office 365. I have to do a repair of office to fix it.  If I tell the system to open the file with word 2016 for example then its OK, but if I actually change the associated to word 2016 manually via the right click menu, then it defaults to saying file type is DOCX with a notepad icon.

Has anyone ever seen this behavior before?

2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: office 365 issues

Windows always has been a bit of a mess when it comes to having multiple programs installed that can open the same file type.

It sounds like you've got the old Office Compatibility Pack installed, which converts .docx files into .doc files for the benefit of Office 2003 or older programs that can only open .doc files. So when you use the compatibility pack to open a .docx file, it converts it to a temporary .doc file, then opens that .doc file in whatever program is assigned to open them.

Do you have anything that needs the Office Compatibility Pack, or can you uninstall that?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: office 365 issues

Thanks EJS.

Yes, I had completely forgotton I had the office 2007 compatability pack installed.....  I have uninstalled it, and office 365 opens the older files fine.... It did have an issue with XLSx files after I had uninstalled the compatability pack, and refused to associate excel 2016 with these files... and also refused to open excel.  A reboot appears to have cured this.

Thanks Again