cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

news.plus.net and Thunderbird on W7

Alden

news.plus.net and Thunderbird on W7

Thunderbird has started to ask me for a News Server USERNAME and PASSWORD
Up pops a window box and I have tried, nothing, my plusnet username and password and a mailuser name and password all to no avail.
When I look at Server settings the server name is news.plus.net on port 119 Connection security - none,
It appears to be an intermittent failure, as it stopped some few weeks ago, it the has worked a few days ago, and its not working now,
I have wondered in its W7 getting in the way but I can't spot anything.
Thunderbird version is 31.2.0
Anyone any ideas where I should start? Is there some magic CLI ai can use to see if all is ok.
--
Cheers Ian Mac
5 REPLIES 5
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: news.plus.net and Thunderbird on W7

Hi,
Just had a chat with Bob P and he advised to make sure this is not checked:
Account settigns > Server settigns > Always request authentication when connecting to this server
Also, this will only work without username and password on the Plusnet Network. It appears you're connecting on a BT circuit?
Hope this helps.
Alden

Just had a thought, I have two connections to the internet, a standard PLusnet ADSL - very slow and a pigback Wireless connection, then in via BT. Do I have to come in over the Plusnet connection to get in?
scrookes
Aspiring Pro

Looks like we posted this at the same time.  Wink
Alden

My fault  Sad  Fix it  Smiley
so I don't forget this is what I did
Got at the BT router at the far end of the radio link, went to advanced setting -> Broadband -> routing
added a subnet ip of 216.196.109.145 which is where news.plus.net appears to point, a mask of 255.255.255.255 and the address of my plusnet gateway, ...200
and hey presto its working again Smiley
scrookes
Aspiring Pro

Glad to hear you resolved this.  Please do let us know if you need any other help.