cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to linux need help

Steve
Seasoned Pro

new to linux need help

hi,so ive just wiped my harddrive and ive installed pc linux os 2008 ,my prob is when i try to download adobe or flashplayer or firefox 3.5 it downloads but then does nothing,i cant open it,any help would be much appreciated,also do i need a firewall or antivirus?thanks
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
44 REPLIES 44
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: new to linux need help

Need to know what kind of Linux e.g. Ubuntu etc
Ignore all invitations by clueless applications to download .exe files or similar.
Linux doesn't (easily) run .exe files.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: steve74
hi,so ive just wiped my harddrive and ive installed pc linux os 2008 ,

You´re answer might be there Crucible....
I find that with Windows and OS X I don´t have any issues installing or running this software. ¿Might be worth a look?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
VileReynard
Hero

I claim it was the spaces in the name!!! Embarrassed
Normally "spelt" PCLinuxOS Smiley
I'm not really familiar with PCLinuxOS - but have you looked at "Getting Started"
http://www.pclinuxos.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
http://www.pclinuxos.com/wiki/index.php/Synaptic for how to install new packages.
I suggest you also look at http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58
Sorry.

Not applicable

Crucible - pay attention please - Steve said in his first sentence that he is using PCLinuxOS!
What's not clear is how are you trying to download them?
The repository should be your first choice - Add/Remove Programmes or Synaptic (can't remember exactly as I use Ubuntu).
There shouldn't be any problem using this.
Next, in Ubuntu Firefox downloads as Shiretoko 3.5 so you wind up with Firefox 3 plus 3.5 and you have to select the latter.
Not sure how this works out in PCLinuxOS so check the forum.
I have managed to upgrade to FF 3.5 normally by following the instructions on http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ but can't say if this is applicable to your OS so check out the forum.
Sorry - you beat me to it Jeremy - glad you've woken up!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ok if you have downloaded the files "raw" i.e not using the package manager, just the broswer, then you probably have a file like firefox3.5.linux.run (ignore the name just for example) in your "explorer" right click and choose properties, then put a tick in the "execute" by user bit. then close the properties and double click on the file and it should run.
The reason that most files downloaded are NOT executable is for your own security.
WRT Firewall & AV , no you don't need one unless you share files with a M$ system, then you could use own but it is easier to keep the M$ protected, as at the moment there are NO live Linux viruses, the ones that do exist ASK you to install them Grin
VileReynard
Hero

Can I say that package managers have enormous advantages?
If a patch or an upgrade is announced (and tested) you will be informed
and normally you would just click a box to say that you want it installed.
If you "roll your own", it will be your responsibility to upgrade.
In more complicated cases where several packages are interdependent,
you would need to download and install, in the correct sequence.
If you use the package manager, it will manage all this for you.
Pretty much all sizeable Linux distros will have a package manager.

artificer
Grafter

hi steve74, welcome to the gang. first thing to do is join the forum at pclinuxos.com/forum to meet the friendly helpers there. 
synaptic is the package manager for pclinuxos and all you need to do is open synaptic, check which mirror is enabled and if it's belnet, uncheck it and check a different one.  heanet is pretty good.  this is a drag, i know, because it adds a complication to your life you don't want right now.
when you've changed repository mirrors, click reload and the package lists will be refreshed.  then mark upgrade all and then click the green tick.  dependent upon your connexion speed, it will take a while.  once you've upgraded you'll find that firefox and flash have been upgraded.
browsing the sections can be rewarding and there's a ton of retro stuff that runs in dosbox to play with.  enjoy exploring.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the help and advice everyone,but i completely mucked up my pc today as im not a dab hand at this sort of thing,had to reinstall windows xp and drivers for now which has took me all day,i have though bough a copy of linux mint from ebay,does anyone recommend this or something else?much appreciated and no doubt i will be back with more shenanigans Cheesy
artificer
Grafter

perhaps you're taking this too fast?  slow down and have a read around the net about linux and read some of the forums to get an idea of what would best suit you.
many of us dual-boot with windows for a while to ease into the linux way of doing things.  with a safety blanket, you can relax, knowing that when you want to do something 'now' all you have to do is boot to windows.  once you've enough linux under your belt, you will be able to dispense with windows.
it may help if you learn a little about partitioning, so that you can take a chunk of disk, about 10gb minimum, to install a linux you can try out.
good things have been said about linux mint, not least that it is beautiful to look at and easy to use.  try several and you will find one that suits you best.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: steve74
bought a copy of linux mint from ebay,does anyone recommend this or something else?much appreciated and no doubt i will be back with more shenanigans Cheesy

You should never have to pay any money for any Linux distro - except perhaps the cost of the blank CD & postage.
Personally, I would recommend that you download Ubuntu (a widely used distro) from http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
Burn it to CD,
Boot your PC from the CD - but don't choose the install option.
It will run from CD (slowly) and after you have played with it, you can choose the install option.
Until you do this, your Windows XP is totally safe.

Not applicable

Steve - I was a bit perturbed when you said that you had wiped your hard drive.
Have only fairly recently got into Linux myself, with help from the lads in this forum.
As has been said, Ubuntu is a good first choice as there is masses of information available and a lively forum. Mint is very similar though so should be OK. PCLinuxOS is good too as it looks similar to Windows but Ubuntu wins hands down for support and information IMO.

My first foray into Linux was with Wubi  http://wubi-installer.org/ so now that you have got XP running again if you could create approximately a 10GB partition you could install this on it safe in the knowledge that you can just delete it via Add/Remove Programmes.
It is also a good idea to put the live CD in the drive and boot up from it just to see if all your hardware is compatible with Linux.
If you fancy a try with Ubuntu (but do it via Wubi) here is a link for the pocket guide: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
The only mistake that you made is moving too fast. You'll probably feel like a good rest from it now after your trials yesterday but don't give up - have a break and take it slowly with help from the forum and you should be OK. If I can manage it, anyone can!  Roll_eyes
Denzil
Grafter

Linux Mint is quite a good choice for a newbie to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu, but includes useful things like audio and video codecs installed by default.  I would agree with Artificer that a dual boot setup would give you time to learn about how Linux works whilst still being productive with Windows if necessary. Don't wipe the hard drive, but just boot from the Linux Mint CD. The installer will detect the presence of Windows and offer you the choice of setting up a dual boot. Once it has finished it even offers you the option of downloading a basic but helpful beginner's guide, which tells you how to install software, amongst other things. It installs lots of useful software for you as standard, though, so you might not need to install very much.
Once you get used to the idea of installing software through the built in package manager rather than downloading it first then you should find it easy enough. Or, at least, no more difficult and frustrating than Windows can be sometimes Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Hi,
    yeah i agree ive went into this feet first,what can i say?was over confident,anyway got my copy of linux mint and tried booting it up from the cd rather than wiping my harddrive,But the disc i got from someone on ebay is not working(either way) so im geting sent another one and i hope its here soon,was really looking forward to checking out linux mint Cry
Not applicable

Aw...sorry to hear that Steve. You are really having a tough time with this so I am glad that you're not being put off by it.
If the next Mint disk doesn't work, PM me and I will post on my copy, which is Gloria and works fine (burnt it myself).
Stick with it - Mint is a super distro and once you have it up and running you'll probably love it - many people do.